Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member here for a while , and have owned a 7.3 for a long while, but had a chance to upgrade , (so i think) . need help.

I bought a 08 with a 6.4 , truck has 120k on it , and someone disassembled the motor due to the rockers being bad. you can visually see all the problems with the rockers , and the truck did come with all new ones as well.

problem is . It is mostly disassembled to that point . and been sitting . so i have no idea what else may be wrong.

I got a pretty good deal on a 20k mile motor, and bought it. Motor looks real nice , but my questions are :
1.Do i delete the egrs , or should i go with upgraded bullet proof diesel ones.
2. if i delete should i add the wastegate that comes in some of the packages , as well , or will the wastegate not really gain me anything.
3. I had a mechanic that has worked on several 6.0's in the area tell me to do the oil cooler at the same time.
4. I need to delete the dpf , at the same time and do a tune?

My reasoning is , I do not want the nightmares associated with the motor , and want to do it all as right as possible , that my checking account can afford of course.
i have no intentions of racing it or beating the hell out of it. but I do lock to run it a little hard now and again.
I will mostly use it to pull loads with on occasion , for the most part i am fortunate enough that this is an extra truck for me. I just saw the opportunity to sell my present truck , and upgrade (I hope) , with minimal cost.
thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
172 Posts
You seriously need to contact PowerstrokeTech82787 on here. He is well versed in both the 6.4 and 6.0
Good luck and keep us posted!

Dom

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
You seriously need to contact PowerstrokeTech82787 on here. He is well versed in both the 6.4 and 6.0

Dom
He is a well versed hater of the 6.4 :hehe:. He may know his stuff but he has nothing but bad to say about them.

To the op. I would do a dpf delete with a tune and an egr delete without a wastegate

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I would do the EGR delete with no wastegate since it's not going to benefit you unless your adding a lot of fuel or running nitrous. and get a cfm+ intake elbow
Do either ARP or H-11 headstuds, If you want get a new oil cooler not necessary but might be worth while. and yes with deleting the dpf you need a tuner. I would go with IDP, Spartan, H&S or KEM and choose who you want based on what you can affoard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
headstuds??

I thought the headstuds were a non issue on the 6.4? thought that they had been beefed up since the 6.0's

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
They have been beefed up over what was used on the 6.0's and will work fine. For all stock applications and most mild tuned applications, you probably won't need them. But adding them will definitely help to make it bullet proof.

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
I got a pretty good deal on a 20k mile motor, and bought it. Motor looks real nice , but my questions are :
1.Do i delete the egrs , or should i go with upgraded bullet proof diesel ones.
2. if i delete should i add the wastegate that comes in some of the packages , as well , or will the wastegate not really gain me anything.
3. I had a mechanic that has worked on several 6.0's in the area tell me to do the oil cooler at the same time.
4. I need to delete the dpf , at the same time and do a tune?
EGR Delete, No Waste gate, unless your going to run NOS like someone else said, Tune it with either H&S, Spartan, or H&S platform with KEM tunes, delete the DPF get a 5" exhaust and a good intake like AFE

Dom
I would be more inclined to talk to Rudys Diesel Performance, those guys are the bomb when it comes to a 6.4

He is a well versed hater of the 6.4 :hehe:. He may know his stuff but he has nothing but bad to say about them.

To the op. I would do a dpf delete with a tune and an egr delete without a wastegate
:thumb::thumb:

I thought the headstuds were a non issue on the 6.4? thought that they had been beefed up since the 6.0's
beefed up yes, would not be a bad idea to swap them out with some ARP's if your wanting a "bulletproof" motor, or a high hp motor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts