Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been resisting joining the Powerstroke forum because I kept telling myself this isn't my long term truck but years keep going by and I pretty much like the way Ford does things. It's a dam impressive truck for 16 years old. This truck is my daily and toy hauler which is pretty mild duty, IMO. I try to do all the non engine maintenance myself and have tried to avoid getting myself trained up to be a 6.0 expert, which means I have paid some decent $ to the diesel mechanic.

My goal with this truck was to have a reliable $30,000 diesel truck. I have since spent a good bit over that by practically refurbing the whole thing. Bought it for decent deal given it had peeling paint on both sides. Stock minus EGR delete. I paid shop for full bulletproof. They had the motor completely out and even resealed the bottom end, turbo rebuild, new coolant hoses, heads inspected, passive coolant filter, billet water pump, oil cooler all the normal stuff. Both diffs have been rebuilt, all new wheel bearings, balljoints, hubs rebuilt, new PSC steering, 34" tires on stock wheels, new driveshafts, back up cam and stereo. New paint job on both sides.

Towing wise it has been pretty capable as my first diesel. I hated the shift points so I added a tow tune to adjust shift points and added EGT sensor so I can be sure I don't push it too hard.

I've had a few bad things happen over the last 3 years. Had to chase long cold start which was leaky injector orings, had the CAC tubes pop off while towing at the absolute worst times (which seems to not be an issue anymore), leaking rear diff, caliper sticking, vacuum actuator went out, got stolen in that **** hole city Portland, or but in general been reliable with 145k on the clock now.

After driving my FILs 6.7L I'm leaning pretty hard toward making that upgrade. The 6.7 power is phenomenal and tows like a dream. I'm on here to start to learn about the various drawbacks and all the years of the 6.7. I don't want to buy something that I have to completely refurbish like I did the 6.0. Ultimately I want super reliable and have the next truck be very long term truck that I will learn all the details from bumper to bumper including scantool diagnosis etc. So I would be looking to pick up something used lower miles and best bang for the buck. I also love not having a truck payment so haven't ruled out the 6.0 yet. I want to setup my truck to carry a slide in camper and tow the rock crawler also. In the mean time I camp in the green canopy and am currently adding a diesel heater to it for winter ski camping.

I looked forward to learning!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,114 Posts
@b00mb00m - Welcome to the ORG!! Great to have you.

If you scroll down in the Main Forum list, you will see the Years of the 6.7Ls. Lots of reading available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@b00mb00m - Welcome to the ORG!! Great to have you.

If you scroll down in the Main Forum list, you will see the Years of the 6.7Ls. Lots of reading available.
YEssir, been reading that, i really want to avoid any sort of lemon like early years of something newly introduced. I'm super glad i got the 05 6.0 vs the 03 6.0. Ford seems to work their sh*t out pretty well. Interested to hear more about the 10 speed.

·
Registered
2000 F-350 4x4 w/ ZF6 trans
226 Posts
I am also from the PNW and work in that ****hole Portland lol.

I went from a 7.3 to 6.7. I was looking for 6.0s for quite some time and came across my higher mile 6.7 for deal I couldn't pass up. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend when looking at a 6.7 is Bluetooth OBD adapter and Forscan lite (paid version). These newer trucks are heavy on the electronics and being able to read codes is a must. Most will tell you stay away from the 2011-12 years. My truck is a 2012 model year and I have only had minor issues/maintenance work so far. Minor meaning I have been able to repair all issues by myself in my driveway. One of those problems a few guys on here helped me diagnose pretty quickly. Read up this place has a ton of info!

In short welcome to the forum and you will be happy with a 6.7. Tons of power, comfortable and in my opinion I think the 2011-2016 body style looks great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also from the PNW and work in that ****hole Portland lol.

I went from a 7.3 to 6.7. I was looking for 6.0s for quite some time and came across my higher mile 6.7 for deal I couldn't pass up. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend when looking at a 6.7 is Bluetooth OBD adapter and Forscan lite (paid version). These newer trucks are heavy on the electronics and being able to read codes is a must. Most will tell you stay away from the 2011-12 years. My truck is a 2012 model year and I have only had minor issues/maintenance work so far. Minor meaning I have been able to repair all issues by myself in my driveway. One of those problems a few guys on here helped me diagnose pretty quickly. Read up this place has a ton of info!

In short welcome to the forum and you will be happy with a 6.7. Tons of power, comfortable and in my opinion I think the 2011-2016 body style looks great.
What is it about the 11-12 that I should stay away from? Did you take the OBD adapter to look at the truck you bought? I definitely don't want a 6.7L lemon because they look expensive AF to fix. LIke would a work truck be a bad or good thing in a 6.7?

·
Registered
2000 F-350 4x4 w/ ZF6 trans
226 Posts
What is it about the 11-12 that I should stay away from? Did you take the OBD adapter to look at the truck you bought? I definitely don't want a 6.7L lemon because they look expensive AF to fix. LIke would a work truck be a bad or good thing in a 6.7?
I have read about turbo failures on the 11-12 models. No, I did not have the adapter when I bought the truck I got it shortly after. Knowing what forscan provides now it would have been nice to have it when looking at trucks. Most diesels can be expensive to fix. A few months ago I posted a CL ad from our Portland area with a 581K mile 6.7. Don't cheap out on filters or oil and stay up on maintenance. These trucks are pretty tough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read about turbo failures on the 11-12 models. No, I did not have the adapter when I bought the truck I got it shortly after. Knowing what forscan provides now it would have been nice to have it when looking at trucks. Most diesels can be expensive to fix. A few months ago I posted a CL ad from our Portland area with a 581K mile 6.7. Don't cheap out on filters or oil and stay up on maintenance. These trucks are pretty tough.
581k!? It's amazing it survived that long in Portland without being stolen. 🤓

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The 2011 6.7s had some sort of a valve issue that could break glow plugs and cause engine damage. At this point with those trucks being over a decade old at this point I would say you can almost rule that issue out. They also changed the turbo and CP4 pumps a little in the 15-16 trucks and made them a bit more reliable, which is why the 15-16 trucks are sought after a bit more.

Honestly if you are looking at a 6.7 and don't plan on tuning it and running it like a ticked off teenager then you will not be disappointed with it. (Other than DEF and the DEF heater lol.)

Reactions: Vice_II
1 - 8 of 8 Posts