Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about getting some bigger injectors for my truck...some diy stage 3 injectors im wondering what else i should get or do to go along with the new injectors...like a new fuel pump intercooler??? i dont really know for sure any input would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Hopefully, you already have gauges. I would think, check your rods and make sure you have forged. Then (if you have rods), probably studs if you don't already have them. Not to mention reprogramming your chip.

Edit: Don't forget getting your tranny up to par.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
^^^ that is worth reading. With a 99, they are forged.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so just studs then? and what would i need to do to the tranny for beefing it up?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
stage 3s are prety big youll cook your turbo prety fast, then youll want custom tuning for your new injectors, personaly I wouldnt go with any bigger than stage 2's unless I was planning on upgrading the turbo at the same time. JMO. with proper tuning you shouldnt need head studs. crappy tuning causing high cylinder will blow head gasgets way before high boost numbers.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks maybe ill go with stage 2 then who do you recommend on the tuning? wildman?

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Inj..Bean or Jim dyi's, Tony is the only way to go! You will need to get more air IMO, talk to Bean about a D66 or h2e. Studs are advisable and please get rid of that K&N before you waste a engine...get a Tymar.
You will need a trans..BTS or John Woods..only 2 to use.
And lots of $$$

Cary

·
Registered
511 Posts
ok thanks maybe ill go with stage 2 then who do you recommend on the tuning? wildman?
You can always get a package deal of injectors and chip from Tony.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Stage 3's will be nasty.

I HIGHLY recommend a regulated return, studs, 4130 chromemoly pushrods, comp 910 valve springs or better. I'm pretty sure you'll over rev and float the valves.

With your stock turbo, your EGT's will be out of control when you get on it hard. You will need Tony to reburn that TS chip.

Also, at a MINIMUM.. you'll need to change out the valvebody on the trans. John Woods or BTS is the way to go. Otherwise your trans will die a horrid death. Actually, it will die, the valvebody will just help prolong it's demise.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
Stage 3's will be nasty.

I HIGHLY recommend a regulated return, studs, 4130 chromemoly pushrods, comp 910 valve springs or better. I'm pretty sure you'll over rev and float the valves.

With your stock turbo, your EGT's will be out of control when you get on it hard. You will need Tony to reburn that TS chip.

Also, at a MINIMUM.. you'll need to change out the valvebody on the trans. John Woods or BTS is the way to go. Otherwise your trans will die a horrid death. Actually, it will die, the valvebody will just help prolong it's demise.
know from experience

and way to be honest there just tell it like it is i like that

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd call Dave Lott at DI or Jody Tipton at DP tuner long before I ever thought about running anything from tony. The programming I've had from tony had a ton more timeing in it and was the only program I've ran that you could hear noticeably more timeing knock when you'd get on it. The way it delivered power it felt faster but when on the dyno is didn't make nearly the power the other programs I've got made.

I find it interesting how everyone all of a sudden seems to think these chromoly pushrods are all of a sudden a necessity. Especially when you are only useing the 910 valve springs. How many people on here have actually bent a pushrod from anything other than piston to valve contact? Would you rather bend a pushrod or bend a valve? I think there is a point where hardened pushrods are needed but I don't think it's neaerly as soon as many have it in their heads.

IIRC the 910 valve springs are only a slight increase over stock and really not nearly enough spring to keep the valves from floating at higher boost/rpm levels.

The tranny is definitely something that will need to be replaced. Preferably with a new built tranny not just a valve body. IMHO installing a valve body and/or torque converter is a waste of money. You will just have to replace them again when you have the tranny buit because of the debris that goes through them when the trannys go.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cary you couldn't be further from the truth. And I have no idea where you got that! I've called DP and talked to Jody once about getting a chip. But don't have one at the moment. I know of many people who have them and have had much better luck with him than with tony. My experience with tony both on the sites and with the program that I had that he wrote haven't been favorable to put it nicely. Currently I run DI programing which has been very good in drivability and performance. I've also heard a lot of really good stuff about Tad's programming from Elite diesel. I have personally dealt with Tad in the past as well and he is a great guy to deal with. Of all those again tony is the last place I'd go.

·
2,724 Posts
I'd call Dave Lott at DI or Jody Tipton at DP tuner long before I ever thought about running anything from tony. The programming I've had from tony had a ton more timeing in it and was the only program I've ran that you could hear noticeably more timeing knock when you'd get on it. The way it delivered power it felt faster but when on the dyno is didn't make nearly the power the other programs I've got made.

I find it interesting how everyone all of a sudden seems to think these chromoly pushrods are all of a sudden a necessity. Especially when you are only useing the 910 valve springs. How many people on here have actually bent a pushrod from anything other than piston to valve contact? Would you rather bend a pushrod or bend a valve? I think there is a point where hardened pushrods are needed but I don't think it's neaerly as soon as many have it in their heads.

IIRC the 910 valve springs are only a slight increase over stock and really not nearly enough spring to keep the valves from floating at higher boost/rpm levels.

The tranny is definitely something that will need to be replaced. Preferably with a new built tranny not just a valve body. IMHO installing a valve body and/or torque converter is a waste of money. You will just have to replace them again when you have the tranny buit because of the debris that goes through them when the trannys go.
dang your just about negative to anybodys post just telling everybody they are wrong and whatnot why dont you just leave it alone because i have tonys chip and you downgraded most of the performance parts people have talked about..... oh i dont see the need for that!!! you dont need that!!!!! and thats a waste of money if somebody wants to buy it so be it they can buy it......
just quit being so dang negative about everything

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

I run Jody's tunes. Not too shabby. Jody is a great tuner. Also, I've rode in more than 1 Wildman tuned 7.3. Not too shabby either. I threw Tony out there due to the fact that he already has a TS chip. Tony will reburn it. Last I heard, Jody will not. As far as timing goes, depending on the tune.. I can knock also.

I find it interesting how everyone all of a sudden seems to think these chromoly pushrods are all of a sudden a necessity. Especially when you are only useing the 910 valve springs.

Let's see here.. the 910's are around $100, other springs I've seen are over $500. 910's will be adequate up to 3300-3500 RPM's.

How many people on here have actually bent a pushrod from anything other than piston to valve contact?

I'm running with bent push rods due to a few runs I made this past weekend. Stock valve train with under 150K miles... really didn't like the 3500 RPM pulls. I'm 99% positive I floated the valves something fierce, and had some piston to valve contact. With the 910's being fresh, I'm sure I'll be just fine. The push rods are just for giggles, cheap giggles considering...

Would you rather bend a pushrod or bend a valve? I think there is a point where hardened pushrods are needed but I don't think it's neaerly as soon as many have it in their heads.

Already answered.

I don't know how to answer this without sarcasm of some sort. I'll just leave it as "I said to prolong, not to fix."

Answers in red.:rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
know from experience

and way to be honest there just tell it like it is i like that
Me? I wouldn't know apparently. My truck is stock, remember?

I thought only the early 99 had the good rods and they switched mid year?
No sir. Sometime in late 00 or early 01 they went to PMR's.

dang your just about negative to anybodys post just telling everybody they are wrong and whatnot why dont you just leave it alone because i have tonys chip and you downgraded most of the performance parts people have talked about..... oh i dont see the need for that!!! you dont need that!!!!! and thats a waste of money if somebody wants to buy it so be it they can buy it......
just quit being so dang negative about everything
Take it with a grain of salt. You will rarely have people build out their trucks exactly the same... and each person will think they are correct and everyone else is wrong.

The only thing I remember your truck needing from the last dyno run was a boost fooler. :)

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Cary you couldn't be further from the truth. And I have no idea where you got that! I've called DP and talked to Jody once about getting a chip. But don't have one at the moment. I know of many people who have them and have had much better luck with him than with tony. My experience with tony both on the sites and with the program that I had that he wrote haven't been favorable to put it nicely. Currently I run DI programing which has been very good in drivability and performance. I've also heard a lot of really good stuff about Tad's programming from Elite diesel. I have personally dealt with Tad in the past as well and he is a great guy to deal with. Of all those again tony is the last place I'd go.
First of all why don't you state the facts instead of spouting off in your normal fashion?

YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A CHIP/PROGRAM FROM ME. Plain and simple, all you might have ever had was a program on a chip from someone who told you it was mine or took one of mine (pirated) and made adjustments and screwed it up.

Secondly, you will NEVER GET A PROGRAM FROM ME LEGALLY. Simply put I will not do business with you.

That is all I will say about this matter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
:Shocked:

Funny how some of the minor details are left out... on purpose!

·
2,724 Posts
Me? I wouldn't know apparently. My truck is stock, remember?

oh thats right i forgot my mistake:respekt: the stock truck that slapped in over 400hp with a huge burnout at the end

No sir. Sometime in late 00 or early 01 they went to PMR's.

Take it with a grain of salt. You will rarely have people build out their trucks exactly the same... and each person will think they are correct and everyone else is wrong.

The only thing I remember your truck needing from the last dyno run was a boost fooler. :)
yes i need a boost fooler i made one but its cheap im just gonna order one

1 - 20 of 45 Posts