Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been looking for an OSB for a few months now and I finally found one I like thats in great shape and one hell of a deal.

It just has one problem I am worried about, the brake pedal gets rock hard after you step on it once.

ex. coming to stop at a light you press the brakes and everything feels fine, but if you let off for a second and go to re-apply they are rock hard and the truck barely stops.

The brake light wasn't on when I test drove it but the woman I am buying it from said it did come on that morning. The reservoir is full of fluid and she said she "had the brakes done" in may. She also said the problem was new to her but who knows shes trying to sell the truck so....a grain of salt I suppose.

I really want this truck but just want to make sure its not going to break my bank to get it working right, its a good deal now but not if I have to dump a ton of money to get it to be able to stop.

Any ideas? I want to get it before anyone else buys it but I need some advice.

its a 95 f250 XLT extended cab 4x4
One owner (a woman) in great shape
198,000 miles

$3,000

still worth it to me since I haven't been able to find anything this nice for under $5000

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
sounds like a weak vacuum pump. it can build up vacuum over time, but it can't keep up when there is high demand on the vacuum pump.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
deff. sounds like a vacuum issue and probly not that expensive to fix.
I'd buy it 3k is cheap for a 4x4 diesel

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys thanks, im fairly handy, is this a fairly simple thing to replace?

Also I'll post pics when I get it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Easy fix and you can fix it for way under that $5k!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
truck. tsteel said 5k. so i was correctin him.
I ment it as if the he cant find another PSD for under $5k after he fixed the brakes and bought the $3k truck he would be way under the $5k trucks he is seeing. :doh:

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
I ment it as if the he cant find another PSD for under $5k after he fixed the brakes and bought the $3k truck he would be way under the $5k trucks he is seeing. :doh:
prob the same for me. bought the 97 for 2k and dumped almost 5k into it. so it comes around to a 7k truck with a bad transmission :doh:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
prob the same for me. bought the 97 for 2k and dumped almost 5k into it. so it comes around to a 7k truck with a bad transmission :doh:
:doh::doh::doh: But now you have a good truck.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I just sank $1300 into mine. This was when I decided I don't need it. It's fine now, but that gets real old real fast.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
:doh::doh::doh: But now you have a good truck.
for now

I just sank $1300 into mine. This was when I decided I don't need it. It's fine now, but that gets real old real fast.
hurts doesnt it

still its for sale or its not. dunno yet. might just go ahead and stick a sign on it to see what happens. if i cant sell it. might keep it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
still its for sale or its not. dunno yet. might just go ahead and stick a sign on it to see what happens. if i cant sell it. might keep it.
Well sell me some parts first!:thumb:

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
You could probably rebuild the entire brake system for under 500 bucks, so if brakes is the only problem, I'd be all over it!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You could probably rebuild the entire brake system for under 500 bucks, so if brakes is the only problem, I'd be all over it!
Thats what I was getting at!:thumb:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update: so after waiting a week for the woman to get the title sent to her from DMV I call her (called once a day to check if she had gotten it) she told me "No I'm not gonna bother with it."

I said "so you're not selling it"
her:"no too many issues"
me: "with the truck or the tittle?"
her: "both....thank you bye"

called her back up and offered her $500 more she still said no. So after stringing me along for almost 2 weeks she bails on the deal. She had mentioned something about her ex husband having the same truck because they bought them together so I figure both trucks are in his name and he won't sign the tittle over.

Sucks though would have been a steal for $3000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts