Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here, a little month ago my truck developed no start, so I de decided to Bulletproof it with cooler and egr, and other parts, I gave my heads to machine shop then yesterday I got a call and he was telling me I got 9 cracks, whole bucks of other stuff anyhow to repair it it’s 2k, my question is what are good cylinder head options you guys would suggest I’m not trying to tune or push more power, I want good reliable 6.0, mine has 180k

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’m new here, a little month ago my truck developed no start, so I de decided to Bulletproof it with cooler and egr, and other parts, I gave my heads to machine shop then yesterday I got a call and he was telling me I got 9 cracks, whole bucks of other stuff anyhow to repair it it’s 2k, my question is what are good cylinder head options you guys would suggest I’m not trying to tune or push more power, I want good reliable 6.0, mine has 180k
Kill Devil Diesel has great heads. Get the fire ringed heads.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Kill Devil UFC or a good shop.

Most shops won’t machine their own, they send it out. Hard to judge of the machine shop is good or not since you probably don’t know where its at. There’s tens of thousands Of machine shops around the country. Nothing wrong with a shop sending heads out.

The only thing you can do is look at reviews For the shop you dropped it off at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They shop they inspected it is good it’s third set of head he did for us, plus my neighbors that do commercial busses use him and I trust them they only thing was off he says it’s cheaper to get new ones and new once’s 1600something so let me believe those are Chinese

·
Administrator
30,248 Posts
Your heads may be no good to some other machine shop
the thing with the KDD heads is while they are china castings they are loaded with US parts by a US company

and no core required so you can sell your heads for someone to use as cores
I would never put non 0-ringed heads back on a 6.0

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have cabinetry shop. When use Chinese plywood for kitchens or cabinetry it’s one price when American plywood it’s another one so ? So

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pretty sure the kdd heads are raw castings, then they are machined and built to speck. I haven't heard any complaints about them.
If your truly worried about it, buy stock heads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just seeking advise that’s all, I don’t want stock heads, I want something better long term, I like my truck so want to fix it and be happy that’s all

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just seeking advise that’s all, I don’t want stock heads, I want something better long term, I like my truck so want to fix it and be happy that’s all
The kdd heads will do what you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my mine at 140k, they only problem I seen is that dummy plug all that other stuff was extra I wanted to to do so thanks I will try them out placed order hope all is good

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
When I had my heads replaced with new ones in 2015, they were built from Chinese head blanks. The shop told me no one manufactured new head blanks except in China. That said not all head blanks are created equal, and they got good ones which it sounds like KDD does the same.

In 2015, It was either head blanks from China or 10 year old remanufactured heads.

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
Last I knew, China was the only place you could get 6.0 castings, so pretty much anything new is going to be coming from there. KDD has the castings built to their specs by Promaxx, or the same company that produces the Promaxx castings anyway.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not sure it's every time, but the replacement heads over the counter at Ford had been new, not reused.

Just saying.

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
Not sure it's every time, but the replacement heads over the counter at Ford had been new, not reused.

Just saying.
I wouldn't expect a reman head from over the counter at Ford, but that doesn't mean it's not a Chinese casting. I've read things saying the original molds were all sold to China. Is it true? IDK There's misinformation everywhere these days. FWIW, I would think if Jared could get U.S. castings, that's what he'd use for his blanks.

TBH, I don't know that the original castings were actually done in the U.S. They could have been from Mexico or Canada or possibly somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I need to update my comment.

Both Indianapolis and Huntsville have been closed where the original castings for the 6.0 were from years ago, the Waukesha foundry sold to RMG. They are totally out of the foundry business and have been outsourcing. It wasn't just the 6.0 and 6.4 that had major issues; the 13L engine also had reliability issues; the 15L could not pass emissions. Nav now uses Cummins. They should have stopped with the 7.3L.

For the 18mm, the 3C3Z-6049-ARM is discontinued (ARM signifying reman). Ford now only sells the 3C3Z-6049-CARM. The C designation is something new to me within their nomenclature......

For the 20mm, the option was 6C3Z-6049-A, which signifies a new part, not reman. Apparently, that has been discontinued very recently, and 6C3Z-6049-DRM reman the only option. Again, what the hell is D.

At this point, I'm not sure if Ford is getting these through Navistar at all, depending on how the divorce went. But yeah, it's up in the air where the place of manufacture is. We'd have to look at the label on the Ford box; they have to list the major part's origin.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went with UCF ported and polished and have had zero issues thus far. I also went with arp 625's and just run stock sticks. I weigh just under 24,500 when pulling my 5er, push 40 pounds of boost when pulling grades and have zero pressure in my degas. Been setup this way for 30,000 miles and glad I went this route. Not knocking kdd, just happy with ucf.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts