Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
About 2000 miles ago, my buddy had to replace the heads on his 05 F350 and along with that repair came a new oil cooler, ELC coolant, etc. Here's where the questions start...

We're not 100% sure the non-Dealer mechanic took for the coolant flush, and as such, there exists some slight apprehension as to the efficacy of the flushing he did in the way of removing all the crap that accumulates in these engines. So, we want to undertake another cooling system flush ourselves but have an apprehension: If with 2000 miles since the last flush of unknown thoroughness, we go forward with an additional complete cooling system flush, is there a significant probability of plugging the oil cooler?

I would like to think given the low mileage since the last flush, and the fact that we can flush and then reverse flush the oil cooler, we should be in the clear. Nonetheless, this individual wants to know the take of the Powerstroke.org experts.

Our protocol for the second flush would be Restore/Restore+, DI water, etc.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PGreenSVT: Appreciate the link...I've read it so many times I feel like it's burned into my head. My question was more specific to the implications of doing yet another flush and taking on oil-cooler blockage issues. I guess what I need to do is inquire with the mechanic who did the flush as to how thorough he was in doing it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You may plug your oil cooler; chances are the mechanic will tell you what you want to hear as far as how he flushed your system. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Have you considered installing a coolant filter to catch the crud that is in suspension? I am very impressed with the Dieselsite kit that I purchased for my truck. There are other options out there as well. My take on it is IF the mechanic didn't flush correctly then you're bound to clog another cooler at some point. Kind of a clogged if you do, clogged if you don't situation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truck has had a coolant filter on it for quite some time. Obviously a good thing. My concern lies in the results from the chemical flush loosening things up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts