Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am have a problem with high ECT pop off no heat etc in my 6.0. I am on the fence about repair or replace the engine.
Talked to a shop today that seems to be pretty knowledgeable. they told me most likely I have a cracked head and a blown gasket. They would replace the heads, oil cooler, OEM gaskets, ARP studs, HPOP, push rods and EGR cooler for about $8K. They stated that the bottom 1/2 of these engines are solid and I should expect to get 100K plus miles on the engine with these repairs and all the problems are on the top end.
Does that seem feasible to get 100K out of the motor with these repairs?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
So I am have a problem with high ECT pop off no heat etc in my 6.0. I am on the fence about repair or replace the engine.
Talked to a shop today that seems to be pretty knowledgeable. they told me most likely I have a cracked head and a blown gasket. They would replace the heads, oil cooler, OEM gaskets, ARP studs, HPOP, push rods and EGR cooler for about $8K. They stated that the bottom 1/2 of these engines are solid and I should expect to get 100K plus miles on the engine with these repairs and all the problems are on the top end.
Does that seem feasible to get 100K out of the motor with these repairs?
only comment i can make is that in 2006 when i was researching this engine I did talk to the engineers at IH on the design specifications for this engine. They told me it was designed to last a minimum of 250,000 commercial working miles. Sounds like yours is right on schedule. That said I have not heard of anyone blowing the bottom always the top of this engine system. Hey, these are pre smog engines and i like that.

Reactions: nine9six

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I would price out a reman engine to compare and then make the decision. Be sure to do your homework on the engine quality. Many on the forum can provide insight on the most reliable engine mfgrs. A reman will cost more but you might decide it makes more sense.

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I would price out a reman engine to compare and then make the decision. Be sure to do your homework on the engine quality. Many on the forum can provide insight on the most reliable engine mfgrs. A reman will cost more but you might decide it makes more sense.
When you got the reman was it studded?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
No heat, high ECT ..... I would first check that the water pump impeller is not separated from the shaft.

·
Administrator
21,910 Posts
Water pump and tstat for sure. @LoxDiesel just posted an 03 BPD pump for sale the other day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts