Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what's up with my truck, and I came across this site. I bought my F250 on Halloween day, 2000. It's been great, over 352,000 miles with nothing but normal wear and tear issues. Hopefully it's not a big thing like a tranny replacement because I'm retired and need it to last another couple of years.

·
Registered
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, figuring out what else.
285 Posts
Trying to figure out what's up with my truck, and I came across this site. I bought my F250 on Halloween day, 2000. It's been great, over 352,000 miles with nothing but normal wear and tear issues. Hopefully it's not a big thing like a tranny replacement because I'm retired and need it to last another couple of years.
What sort of problem are you having?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2001 7.3L diesel crew cab 4WD with 352K miles. Sometimes, but not always, it takes the automatic transmission a few seconds to actually move the truck, but once it gets moving it's fine. Sometimes it helps to start off in low, sometimes I just need to be patient. It doesn't much matter if the engine is cold or hot. If I have to put it in park(at the dump, while I unload) it may do it also, but as long as it's in Drive it keeps going, even when I'm out in the mountains in 4WD. I had it flushed and the filter changed a couple of months ago, didn't really make any difference. The local mechanic just wants to replace it, a couple of amateur mechanics point to a transmission actuator that may be bad. I live in a small town with few choices of mechanics-the one I use most of the time requires a follow up half the time so I don't want to go to them for a transmission.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,393 Posts
That could be a lot of things but with your mileage id do a whole trans.

The labor to fix this and that in the trans is gonna cost more than a whole trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could be a lot of things but with your mileage id do a whole trans.

The labor to fix this and that in the trans is gonna cost more than a whole trans.
$5000 for a truck with 352K miles is a lot of money, and I worrry about what falls apart next. This is the gray area I hoped to avoid. Fix the tranny and sell, or fix the tranny and hope for the best in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts