Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum. I've had my 2000 F-250 2wd for probably 5 years no. Completely stock except for the addition of an Edge Juice with Attitude. Me and my brother got to talking trucks this weekend and started playing with the idea of straight-piping the ol beater. How do these sound with a straight pipe? I want a little more noise (I'll admit I'm a Cummins fan) and SMOKE for that matter. Anyone know how to get more than a little puff out of an automatic?

I'm really just looking for any mods I can do on the cheap. I'm a poor college guy. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something else as I get to know the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would do the straight pipe, they sound good.. my buddy called mine a helicopter because I drove by him while he was getting his kid ice cream and he said it was loud on the side of the street. It wasn't too bad in the cab, tolerable.. my truck I have now had stacks and I sold them and dumped it right behind the cab... Way too loud! My 4" system is on its way now! If you want smoke you need to over fuel it and the best way I know of is a $3-500 TS chip. If you want some more turbo whistle for free/cheap do the DIY intake/filter and remove the foil from the CAC pipes... looks better anyway.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
smoke is just unburnt fuel anyway.. that being said get a chip with some real tunes, PHP has the best price $295 6pos chip. :)

And while you're at it do a diy intake, dump that muffler, and you'll find plenty of other lil things to do.. once you start you cant stop.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Another smoke post really

·
Registered
465 Posts
my 4" straight pipe is WAYYY too loud for my liking. I would have rather kept with the stock pipe knowing what i know now. Possibly gutted the stock muffler if anything, but egts were never a problem stock.

I'm looking into a 4" muffler (which may negate the whole upgrade to 4" exhaust, making it an expensive moot point).

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
(I'll admit I'm a Cummins fan) and SMOKE for that matter.
2 things that WON'T win you any popularity contests around here! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Another smoke post really
I wouldn't call it a smoke post. More of an exhaust post that mentioned smoke. I'm more concerned about sound than smoke, anyway.

Thanks to the others who gave their input.
Don't take it personally man, just we get the occasional guy (read KID) in here that just wants to make smoke and create chaos. :doh:Those who are positive members of the "Diesel Community" agree that blowing smoke is pointless and part of the reason why diesels get so much flack fom the public. That said, theres a time and a place. :wink[3]:

I agree with a 4" turbo-back exhaust for better performance/egts, but a 5" will give you more sound. I have a 4" with muffler, (Its pertty much 4" straight through) and love it, just a tad louder than stock, but the performance is much better. Check out the DIY 6637 Intake, and if you decide to get a chip, PHP had my vote, just be sure to get gauges first! :thumb:

:ORG welcome:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Mango I so agree I almost had to call u on a truck last night btw, but I got it lol and way I have stock down pipe to 5 inch stacks sounds great drown puts my wife to sleep. Also I don't mean to sound like a jerk just sick of kids and diesels lol

·
Banned
3,782 Posts
My truck ain't very loud straight piped, inside with the windows up. Never heard it outside besides on camera, or just sitting there idling, but I'm sure it's loud as hell.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just unclamped my stock muffler, pulled the hangers loose, and dropped it. Took all of 20 min. The stock pipe dumps just behind the cab...sounds great, and it won't cost you a thing

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you do that you might as well go get a couple of cheap pipe bends and have it come out of the side, in front of the back right tire. or get a turn down tip for it, because ive heard that the exhaust gases can heat things up under there. and we all know that we DONT want heat

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
i agree with everyone, custom chip, gauges, intake and exhaust. for a poor college guy, (been there) 6637 intake about $40, straight pipe aside from a saw, you can put a muffler delete pipe in for about $40, gauges pyro minumum and if you pull with an auto get a trann temp gauge $90 - $300, PHP chip $295.

as for smoke show, i won't flame anyone for that, but it does give us diesel heads a bad reputation. and i think a lot of tuners have stopped making smoke tunes anyway.

im a cummins fan too, like many others on here, and to quote an org user, 'the ram is the worlds most expsenive Cummins engine shipping crate'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips, guys. And I apologize for bringing up smoke around here! I see where you are coming from about public opinion and all that, but I like smoke. I guess I'm one of those "kids". Sorry! But I'm going to work on losing my muffler and I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Dont feel bad bro its cool i have a smoke show tune for shows and all that. Php stil has 140hp smoke show its just there 140hp with low end boost

·
live for the now
2,435 Posts
do a 4" turbo back, get rid of the edge and get a ts style chip along with an intake and trust me you will be pleasantly surprised.. i am at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts