Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 F250 6.4l at auction and unfortunately "runs and drives" means different things to different people <sigh>. This truck only had 150k miles however when I got it home it only runs on 7 cylinders (popping out the intake), won't steer (looks like the steering box is grenaded) and is missing the DPF...
So I am reading all I can find on this forum to find out how to recover from this. Looks like at the very least I'll be replacing some rockers and a steering box as well as shopping for a tuner to overcome the missing DPF. Yeaaa!
looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 F350 Lariat SuperCab RWD 6.7 PSD
274 Posts
Hello kdpearson and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!! Oh wow, good luck with your truck! Hope you can get it resolved without to much trouble and cost!

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,267 Posts
@kdpearson - Welcome to the ORG! Scroll down the Main forum list to the Ford 08-10 6.4L Powerstroke Forums. Members in there are experienced with these trucks. Ask away!

Must be the Retiree thread. I retired in July! 😃😃😃

Reactions: 6LiterTeter

·
Premium Member
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - ARP studs, EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, PHP FICM tunes.
1,326 Posts
Welcome to the org!

If you listen, there are voices here with good advice that have nothing to sell you.

6.4 is known to be problematic, but folks here will help you deal with issues you encounter.

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your retirement. I'm retiring at the end of January! If God willing my wife and I got a 29' 5th wheel RV and going to see the country!
Good for you! I hope you really enjoy it. Retirement is the best decision I've made. I did well in the Tech industry but now I get to live on my little ranch, raise horses, and bale hay in the summer. My only deadline is rain!

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@kdpearson - Welcome to the ORG! Scroll down the Main forum list to the Ford 08-10 6.4L Powerstroke Forums. Members in there are experienced with these trucks. Ask away!

Must be the Retiree thread. I retired in July! 😃😃😃
Retired is the best!
I will definitely be leaning on this expertise.

·
Registered
2000 F-350 4x4 w/ ZF6 trans
302 Posts
Welcome! There are some very knowledgeable 6.4L dudes here with tons of info already archived. Most people will tell you to invest in a good scanning software. Guys on here like Forscan (I use it as well) Good luck on getting the truck going and upload some pics if you can!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I don't think he's around anymore but if you find some threads that has Roccafellas participating in them, those are good threads. He was a 6.4 wizard

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome! There are some very knowledgeable 6.4L dudes here with tons of info already archived. Most people will tell you to invest in a good scanning software. Guys on here like Forscan (I use it as well) Good luck on getting the truck going and upload some pics if you can!
Thank you! I have Forscan that I used to program keys on my F150 and completely forgot about it. I just ordered another adapter (I loaned my last one out) and it should be here today so I'll get some scans done. I'll upload some pics too and post progress as it goes.

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
691 Posts
I bought mine at the salvage sale, int burn, theft. Got it home they’d reported it stolen and burned it as it blown up, ran on 6 cylinders. Had to build a new motor for it, plenty of previous posts about it, I went all out on parts to donit once. Above suggestion is correct in saying identify which cylinder, compression test or send a borescope to look around. Might get lucky and a bad rocker but I’m fairly certain you’re gonna find out it’s a deeper issue and a more involved fix. We can help you get on the right track with how to proceed.

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow that is much cleaner than what I expected! When people say auction I am always thinking the worst.
Yeah, it is pretty nice for the most part. The interior is really nice. The passenger doors are dented but I knew that going into it. That kind of body work is really easy. I was pretty disappointed that they didn't disclose that it didn't run well and was missing the DPF. They are usually really good at full disclosure.

·
Registered
2010 F250
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amazon delivered my adapter so I was able to run Forscan on the truck. As you can imagine I have a ton of errors. Mainly I see cylinder 8 contribution balance and a cylinder 8 misfire. Also cylinder 7 and 3 contribution balance error. There are errors about the DPF being gone too (to be expected). Here is a pic of the list.
Computer Personal computer Font Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 32 Posts