Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 1990 F250 diesel but the previous owner had the engine in pieces and took the injection pump off. He was running veg oil mixed with diesel and said he put to much veg oil in and blew the seals in the injection pump.

I have purchased a new injection pump but I dont know how to time the engine. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
did the previous owner pull just the injection pump off, or did he pull the pump drive gear and cover off. there are two ways i learned the hard way one is to take the three bolts that hodt the pump onto the cover and leave the gear the other is to remove pump gear cover and all the pump will only attach to the gear one way there is a dowel that assures alignment on the gear but if the whole assy was pulled its a crap shoot the way i did it was with the cover removed you can see the gear the drive gear for the injection pump mates too put the engine on tdc by the harmonic balancer get something to feel the face of the gear and feel for timing marks and mark the top of the gear with a marker and align the timing mark on the drive gear to the timing mark on the other one if you dont feel the timing marks turn it one complete revolutin back to tdc on the balancer (two crank rotations per 1 cam rotation) hope this helps sorry bout punctaion im only a c student

1 - 2 of 2 Posts