Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin with appologizing for the long post. I am new to this sight and am extremly excited about it's exhistance. Regardless, here it is. I drive a 2001 Ford-350 (4x4)7.3 turbo. The truck is equipped with a 4:11 rear end. Everything else is stock. I purchased the truck with 75,000 miles on it and it appears since then the truck is loosing it's pep. For the most part, the truck is parked.

About 5 times a month it us used to pull our toy hauler, which weighs about 9000 lbs. What I have noticed is it doesn't appear to have the power it should have. It seems as if the truck boggs down to much on even the smallest hills. For example, its not uncommen for me to have to slow down to 60 mph on a slight grade to avoid the transmission shifting down and runing the rpms up too 2200 (on the interstate). I have also noticed the fuel economy us extremly bad. I realize this is a heavy truck and not designed to get great fuel economy, but 10 -12 mpg (empty) is not good enough.

Can anyone point out some obvious inspections or changes I should be doing. I am also planning on adding a tuner, exhaust, and intake. Does anyone believe this is worth it or have an ideal suggestion for this truck.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm new at this but dealing with diesel motors has become a new intrest of mine.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
have you checked the basics like air filter / fuel filter etc...?

And :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
601 Posts
i would check your fuel filter. if it sits alot it could be clogged from old fuel.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
10-12mpg is good for towing 9K. Also if you are towing 9K in OD then it will have no power down that low in the RPM range, it sounds like the RPM is about 1650-1700 in OD. AT that RPM, the boost is flat and there is not power. Run it in D and the power is there and the mileage will be the same. I run mine at 2100-2200RPM all time I tow my 10K trailer.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
10-12mpg is good for towing 9K. Also if you are towing 9K in OD then it will have no power down that low in the RPM range, it sounds like the RPM is about 1650-1700 in OD. AT that RPM, the boost is flat and there is not power. Run it in D and the power is there and the mileage will be the same. I run mine at 2100-2200RPM all time I tow my 10K trailer.
I believe he was saying he gets 10-12 mpg when the truck is empty/unloaded:dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. To answer your questions, no I have not changed the fuel filter. The air filter is checked frequently and I am certain this is not the problem. As for fuel economy, I was attempting to explain how the truck gets about 10-12 empty. I question this milage because of what I have read. It seems many other having similar a similar setup get much better milage. Maby that better milage is a result of them adding so many after market products.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
even stock you should be getting better mileage. I would check your fuel filter.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Im going to venture a guess and say that your exhaust back pressure valve maybe is slightly sticking closed on you:dunno: If you can get your truck scanned for any codes. And also change out your fuel filter like everyone else has recommended:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would the check engine light not necessarily come on. Because the entire time I have owned the truck I have been watching for it to come on. However, the only time I see it light up is at the begining when I turn the key over to warm up the glow plugs, it then goes off as it should.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Not all codes set the ses light those are called soft codes.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Make sure the reader is capable of reading codes of your PSD. AutoZone or other lower grade scanners will not pick up codes for us, or maybe look into investing into an AutoEnginuity, I got mine from ITP diesel cheaper than it is priced on AE's website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts