Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to check out a 97 f250 powerstroke with 212k miles today,i have worked on diesel's before and what not but like cat motor's and waht not.

he say's the tranny was replaced with a HD one with a shift kit not to long ago and runs and drives grate.

Im about to move to cali in about a year and this truck will be my DD so i want to give it a good going over before i lay down the 4k to get it.

i will also be pulling my 71 bronco with the truck, it's around 4500 pounds.

also think it's a ok deal?
ksl.com - Car Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
:welcome1: to the ORG!!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the welcoming!

well, im pretty sure it's a POS.
I got there before he did and felt around and it was still cold.

first off the bed is trashed and the tailgate wont open, need's two front tires (bald) and shocks, he said the inside was gray and in good con, well it's blue and full of cracks.
he fires it up and runs like crap, he said it's been sitting a long time and the fuel has gone bad but once it warms up it runs grate, well i took it for a spin but oh boy was it gutless! once it warmed up it was a little better and could actually move but all other trucks i have been in really put ya in the seat..not this one.
so i get back to the place it was parked at and he was gone? so i open the hood and oh what did i see? a big oil leak from the left valve cover by the turbo and a big part of the air box missing after the filter with ducktape over it but it had sucked a hole through it.:tard:

he got back and said he had a bunch of sensors replaced so it was probbaly oil from the shop he took it to? there was nothing by the leak besides the turbo and valve cover?
he also said he replaced the fuel pump and alt and cam sensor and other stuff. (I dont beleave him beside the alt)
and it shifts really hard into 2nd and alittle softer into 3rd down shifts smooth but tranny felt strong, not sure if the shift kit it causing that hard shifting or not tho.

what ya think? worth 4 grand?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
any ideas on why it could be running like crap? :dunno:

im thinking with it sitting for a long time it need's injectors,fuel filter,oil change?
i dont think the oil is the problem,with my brother's 7.3 it would die before it got warmed up.
there isnt any other powerstroke's in my price range for sale right now.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
:welcome1:

·
Registered
448 Posts
welcome to the org. from what you said i personally wouldnt take the chance. but thats my own opinion. good luck on your truck hunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts