Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys....Yes, a newbie, at least for the 6.4....I traded in my 06, 6.0 today for a 2010 F-250 6.4 (loaded)....Now for the big question...I had the 6.0 tuned with a Diablo Sport....Loved it...no problems ever. Best truck I have ever had, bar none...18-20 mpg Hwy....15-16 city....tons of power, but loud.....Drove the 6.4, very quiet, decent power...I know the mileage issues.....So, If I want to increase the mileage, power, and keep it quiet, and get rid of the regen issue,
what should I do?....I see the postings on the Spartan, SCT etc....I'm not a mechanic and need something fairly easy to install......So basically I want HP increases and mileage improvement and I like the "quiet" of the 6.4...I'm not a racer but love to "race" down the highway when I travel.....I'm looking to the pros for advice !!.....Oh, and what can I reasonably expect as far as mileage
improvements if I do what is suggested?.....I really appreciate any advice and
am getting excited about this!!....Thanks in advance guys!!.....Mike in Calif...

·
Registered
162 Posts
SPARTAN is hands down the only way to go for this 6.4L. It's extremely easy to install (plug into the obdII port underneath your dash and your ready to go after the delete pipe is installed of course.) Not only is it easy to install but operating the dash daq is very simple to use and doesnt look like a POS like the livewire does.

I am running the 275 tune and the power is insane and the shifting is spot on. Im averaging about 21mpg highway at 68mph with 35's running this tune. Not to mention, if you are not a idiot with the way you drive and you monitor things, Spartans reliability is proven in these trucks.

Another thing you probably want to consider when your choosing a tuner is your warranty, I dont know too much about the other companies products but i do know that Spartan has that pretty much under control if you still want to keep your factory warranty.

The guys at spartan really got their sh!t together. They are honestly second to none. Do it right the first time and go with them, because i keep reading on this forum and different forums how people are selling their SCT livewire and switching to Spartan and they always said how they should of just went with Spartan in the first place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spartan

Thanks Hangin!.....I will go with the Spartan for sure, it seems the way...
As far as the DPF delete, how does that work?....Is that part of the tune
or is that a pipe removal project of some kind....I know, I'm confused....
Is the DPF the regen issue or something else?......Thanks again man.....Mike

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ive had both but spartan seems to be the way to go for now. I might wait and see how people are likeing the black maxx tuner. I have never ran one on my 6.4 so im not sure about it but some people have tried it and liked it so far. Dpf delete is easy just kinda time consuming. You first install your tuner then unbolt the dpf/doc and remove it. then a delete pipe slides in place. You can still run factory exhaust. Its really not any louder in the cab but it is outside. Yes the bad thing about the dpf is tha it has to clean itself and that is the regen you hear about. It injects more fuel and super heats the exhaust to turn the soot into ash. I get about 18-19 on the highway but I do 85 most of the time. If you look on youtube there is a video about the whole install process. Its for the dpf-r module and its a piece of junk but it will help you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Spartan. They offer 8 tunes preloaded to the tuner now. That is something I do not think can be beat at this point in the game.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have had both also, did not like SCT, it just never shifted right, called Aaron at Rudy's Performance and he set me up with SPARTAN , have not looked back, waiting on my new TCM and after that I think I'm set, read around the forums and you will see a lot of SPARTAN fans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You guys!

I have the pipe and the Spartan coming...Thanks for all the great advice....
I'll post my results in a couple of weeks.....I need to find someone who can install the pipe now!!.........Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts