Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang if it aint one thing its another. I had the dealer put in the new FICM....i only paid $100 and they covered the rest due to the truck giving me so many problems the last 90 days since I purchased it. Well after the new FICM the next day I noticed it was cranking weak. This went on for a few days and this morning the batteries are bone dead, have to unlock the truck with the key and the radio wont even play. Is this normal for the batteries to be drained this low? Thanks

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I can see 3 possible reasons for your issue.
1. Batteries are bad. Have them load tested to see
2. Alternator is on it's way out and not keeping the battery fully charged. Take it to an auto parts store and have them test it.
3. You have a parasitic draw somewhere in your system. This is less likely, but is a lot harder to find if this is the issue.

If you are monitoring your truck you should be able to use that to narrow your problem down quite a bit. That being said these trucks are hard on batteries and if they are more than 3 years old go and replace them.

Something just to note, your FICM problems was most likely caused by your low voltage issue. Voltages below 12.0V is known to KILL your FICM. Check out this page and he describes it a little more.

FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
What Aretoo said.
I have a scan gauge 2 and I can monitor my cranking voltage. You need a monitor of some sort. Either scan gauge or edge ct. It will save $$ in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
Mine did the same thing, I went ahead and changed the alternator and battery's. Then about 3 months later my Ficm went out. If I had a monitor at the time, I could have caught it before it got bad. Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. One battery was dated 2009, the other was a 12/11. The old battery was dry when I popped the caps on it, the newer battery was perfect. I swapped out the older battery and put the newer one on charge while I was running errons. All is good now. I will get the Edge CTS, but it has to wait a few months. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts