Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know there is tons of posts about temp deltas. However, I am concerned about deltas when heavily loaded. During this time of year I routinely am driving on the highway in my truck at about 60mph with about 1000lbs of sand in the bed and a 9' plow on the front. This makes for a very heavy truck and I have seen deltas up to about 18-19* while the engine is under that heavy load for about ten mins. Is this a normal condition? I know you are supposed to check deltas unloaded and they usually seem to hover around 10-14* from what I can recently remember during the summer time.

Any help is appreciated

FYI about to put a coolant filter in....think that will make any improvement?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
1k lbs of sand just in the bed or in a spreader?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spreader and toolbox full of tools...its heavy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would not be concerned. If its only 15-20 when under a heavy load that is not too bad. The spec i use is 15 or less at high idle with no load. A coolant filter probably would not hurt but it probably wont help much either as far as lowering the oil temp. The oil cooler seems to be a perfect place for trash in the cooling system to get stuck. I would do the coolant filter for sure though more than likely it will save you some money in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts