Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 03 f 250 I have owned it for about twenty days.
Its not hard to start but it really sounds like crap until it warms up. and seems like it has no power until warm. I have changed all filters and oils the it has a k and n filter charger with a edge juice with attitude. So what could cause this. It started sounding ruff about three days ago.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
177 Posts
bump:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Is it a 6.0? If so the newest heat induction flash everyone is talking about may be whats in order. From what I understand it is supposed to help correct the cold start issues.:dunno: Someone else may be able to add some more light to this.

Personally I would ditch the K&N filter and put the stock back in. I have heard way too many bad things about them not being able to properly filter these engines. Just my :twocents:

And :ORG welcome:

·
lifetime member
1,640 Posts
Is it a 6.0? If so the newest heat induction flash everyone is talking about may be whats in order. From what I understand it is supposed to help correct the cold start issues.:dunno: Someone else may be able to add some more light to this.

Personally I would ditch the K&N filter and put the stock back in. I have heard way too many bad things about them not being able to properly filter these engines. Just my :twocents:

And :ORG welcome:
welcome to the org. i agree with the above, however i would also pour some powerservice diesel kleen in the fuel tank on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Ok what is this flash and where do I get it and how much does that cost... and one more thing what is a bump?
A flash is having your trucks computer settings changed, kinda like updating the software on your PC. This can only be done at the dealer. As far as cost I'm not sure, you could call your dealer and ask or someone else may chime in with an answer.

A bump is used to move a post up to the top of the list so that it gets more attention.:bump:

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Could be a bad batch of fuel too like nsrchofpwr said:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
In weather under 40 deg. my 05 runs rough at first start up since day i bought it.I'm still running the old flash-the one that buzzes after stuh down-.unless it gets plug in. But its only for a few sec's,unless its real cold out. Then it might run crappy for half a minute or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry guys i really like owning this thing. just getting a little bummed about all the problems. seems like today i had a hard time getting it started. tried a couple of times but had to walk away from it for about five minutes.. then started fine.. just runs ruff until it warms up on top of that was told i need to change the front hubs. these things list for about 600 apeace at napa.. I wanted a good solid truck that could take a load. its starting to kill me in parts. I mean I new it would cost more but this is crazy.. I am just a sailor so money is there but not plentiful.. How do you guys do it?? is there a place where parts are cheaper.. I was told it was about twice as much as a gas platform.. but i can change the wheel bearings on my old truck for less then a hundred.. i am in shock..:crazy:

by the way someone said i need to do a bump how do i do this

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm just getting ready to start another post in regard to this. I read on a former thread that you may be having a problem with your glow plugs. Theres a way to test them with a voltmeter or ohm meter to see if they're ok. I cycle my plugs twice before I turn it over and it fires up nice and strong. Also, I always let my truck warm up before I leave in the morning. Try cycling them twice, let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
i have a 03 too and it did the same thing i would start it in the morning and it would die i would do it again and it would start but be loud as hell sounded like bowling balls in there ...and if i tried to leave before it was wormed up it had no power at all...so i took it to the dealer had then flash it with the newest flash OMG what a diffrence it starts great runs smooth right away and has power before its all wormed up and it only cost me like 100 bucks or so i forget but it wasnt that much.....well good luck and welcome to the org

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure what the weather there is like but you might try plugging the engine core heater in overnight and seeing if it makes a diffrence the next day. If not your truck probably needs one or more of the reflashes.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
sorry guys i really like owning this thing. just getting a little bummed about all the problems. seems like today i had a hard time getting it started. tried a couple of times but had to walk away from it for about five minutes.. then started fine.. just runs ruff until it warms up on top of that was told i need to change the front hubs. these things list for about 600 apeace at napa.. I wanted a good solid truck that could take a load. its starting to kill me in parts. I mean I new it would cost more but this is crazy.. I am just a sailor so money is there but not plentiful.. How do you guys do it?? is there a place where parts are cheaper.. I was told it was about twice as much as a gas platform.. but i can change the wheel bearings on my old truck for less then a hundred.. i am in shock..:crazy:

by the way someone said i need to do a bump how do i do this
napa will rape you. don't waste your time there. I had to buy front pads today and they wanted $60 bucks for the same ones I bought at kragens for $35. This isn't rocket science, get the newest flash done at your dealer, if you're under warranty it should be free if not then they may charge you an hour labor. Then come back and post the results. Shop around for the hub part, powerstrokeshop.com good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
napa will rape you. don't waste your time there. I had to buy front pads today and they wanted $60 bucks for the same ones I bought at kragens for $35. This isn't rocket science, get the newest flash done at your dealer, if you're under warranty it should be free if not then they may charge you an hour labor. Then come back and post the results. Shop around for the hub part, powerstrokeshop.com good luck.
I'm fairly certain that the injector reflash was a recall in which case even if its 20 years from now and your warranty is long gone they still have to do it and yea NAPAs gay about a lot of stuff. Gotta love the school wholesale discount I get at auto value. Haha.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
yes. however, the newest flash isn't a recall. You have to walk in and say "I have cold start issue. Will you please reflash?"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.