21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Diesel Oil spec CK-4 not good if it also meets SN and SM.

This new spec requires below 1000ppm of phosphorus and zinc if the oil also is to meet SN and SM gasoline engine specs. Levels this low will wipe out the cams and rocker arms. Ford has already come against this spec citing excessive wear in powerstroke engines.
fordauthority.com/2017/03/ford-launches-new-oil-spec-for-6-7l-power-stroke-diesel/
So far Motorcraft oils have a new Ford specific spec which has higher levels, and early testing shows rotella is maintaining the higher levels and is rated CK-4 but not SN and SM.
All Delos and Delvac are below the 1000ppm level and meeting SN and SM also.
Rotella is not meeting SN and SM

see analysis here
pqiamerica.com/HDEO_Sample_Summary_Dec_2016.html

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
$24.99 for Mobil1TDT at Oreilly.

Thanks @ars5147 for the rebate info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
$24.99 for Mobil1TDT at Oreilly.

Thanks @ars5147 for the rebate info

What’s up with Tapatalk double posting?!

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
Is there a chart somewhere that tells you how much you need to add?
If using Rislone 3x concentrate ZDDP additive on wieght reduced diesels, the dosage rate is: Add one bottle to engine crankcase for every 5 quarts of oil capacity.

Caveats: If using CJ4 oil no need to add ZDDP but adding 1x bottle brings it to CH4 levels. Do not add ZDDP to any oil below CK4 if you are running a stock exhaust. Adding 1x bottle to CK4/SN brings it to CJ4 levels.

·
Premium Member
11,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If using Rislone 3x concentrate ZDDP additive on wieght reduced diesels, the dosage rate is: Add one bottle to engine crankcase for every 5 quarts of oil capacity.

Caveats: If using CJ4 oil no need to add ZDDP but adding 1x bottle brings it to CH4 levels. Do not add ZDDP to any oil below CK4 if you are running a stock exhaust. Adding 1x bottle to CK4/SN brings it to CJ4 levels.
1 bottle per 5 quarts? So 3 bottles for an oil change? Just clarifying.

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
1 bottle per 5 quarts? So 3 bottles for an oil change? Just clarifying.
I use Rotella T6 5W40 CK4, adding one bottle rose the ZDDP level ~150 ppm to 1300 which is the level I was looking for. Over 1600 ppm is generally considered not good as it can turn the oil slightly acidic.

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
For clarity here is a VOA of Rotella T6 5W40 CJ4 vs CK4. CJ4 is on the left column while CK4 is on the right column.

·
Premium Member
11,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I use Rotella T6 5W40 CK4, adding one bottle rose the ZDDP level ~150 ppm to 1300 which is the level I was looking for. Over 1600 ppm is generally considered not good as it can turn the oil slightly acidic.
I was more specifically asking about the Delo CK4/SN that I bought. If my math is right, which it probably isn't, the combined zinc and phosphorus levels in the Delo 400 XSP is 1600 ppm. The chart (thumbnail) says 0.08% for each. I'm not arguing, just trying to understand.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=493727&docFormat=PDF

Attachments

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
Here is DELO CJ4 vs CK4 side by side. Row one is CJ4 and row 2 CK4/SN. Because Delo/Chevron does not make a specific Diesel HDEO but rather a multi vehicle blend notice the reduced levels of Zinc and Phos (ZDDP). This is why it is not on the Ford approved list.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Been doing research on this for the last 2 nights. Still not sure which oil to run in these motors. I was running T6 for the last 4 years...then switched to delo 400 LE. With the new CK-4 formulas I'm debating going back to T6 or maybe trying some Valvoline extreme blue since it claims to meet the Ford specs. What are you guys running?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man I was in this pickle for the passed 2 weeks so many ”opinions” what I did since I had a little stiction is ditch the Motorcraft 10-30 and pick up the Rotella full synthetic and added a 2 quart bottle of Hot Shots secret, man I could not be happier, I swear after driving it one day my stiction is gone, and I swear completely noticeable difference in how smooth the power is in the truck, I have a none VGT turbo 362 Borg and it definitely has turbo lag or should I say had turbo lag, today it was almost shocking to see how fast the turbo lit up, I mean literally cut the turbo lag out at least 75%, I'm still sitting here amazed, all I can say is my truck and I lol love the switch to Rotella 5-40 and the addition of the Hot Shots. All I have done is a program added to my SCT and a FICM tune, I ran the 80/40 and now on Econo tune and I'm not touching sh*t runs stellar finally (knock on wood)of course 4 inch turbo back exhaust straight pipe S&B filter, up graded the solenoids in the trans added bigger trans pan filter but aside from that nothing more significant work done to powertrain, oh yeah of course deleted, changed oil cooler head studs were on it when I bought it but yeah definitely a Full Synthetic fan boy now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also what made me choose to go a full Synthetic is after of course so much research time was on this forum I found that had been running now like 18 years...the guys were basically using Rotella or Dello and adding 1 full bottle of Rislone it’s in all the auto parts stores yellow bottle with a red top I believe ... it’s an additive to put back what the new standard oil lacks to a point where the acidic levels or whatever don’t quote me, end up at 1300 ppm’s, I will try Dello and “Rislone next time and see how she feels because it cost quite a bit less then Rotella , the thing is is the new standard oil is formulated with the DPF system in mind, so naturally they will cut corners where they can to attempt to please the governments anti pollution standards...So your probably not doing bad with either or just as long as you add a few certain things back into the oil....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts