Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!:thumb:
So on with the problem I have a 04 350 and for about 3-4 months I've been having problems with it charging. First I had the batteries checked and of course napa said they'er good just need to be fully charged so I did. Then one late night during the first snow fall. The truck started fine headed down the road and then the ABS light came on the radio shut off then the lights and gauge cluster. Now I got a jump start and my volts read 11.5 I headed down the road home and the volts went up to about 13.1 never higher then that.

So i figure that the Alternator had took a dump. Ordered on from DC power, when I got it I thru it in and then cleaned and upgraded the battery cables (ground and power).
Recharged the batteries and now after the glow plug cycle i never see it above 11.5 it will sit there till i turn on lights or acc. Then it will drop to about 10 or 9v.

while truck is running I checked the post on the alt and i just see what the batteries are at in volts the orange wire from the harness says the same. As for the green/red I cant get a good reading off that one.

So I checked fuses, fusible links and the green/red wire all the way to the connector on the drivers side.

So what would be causing this to happen? The alt is not getting the signal to start charging.

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
Is it possible that the alternator that you got from DC Power is bad? Do you have a buddy that has a PSD that you could put it in to see if it is bad (precludes sending it back necessarily) or shop that can test it for you.

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was planning on doing is taking the alt and batteries and getting them tested. I never heard of anyone having a bad alt from DC but there always have to be a first

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its not the alternator or the batteries. Im not getting power from the Green/Red Wire. which i guess tells the alternator to turn on and start charging. The green/red wire is good all the way up to the pin connecter on the driver side. Would this then be my gauge cluster causing this problem telling the alternator to not to turn on?

·
Administrator
33,284 Posts
it's possible since the cluster is responsible for a multitude of things on your truck

I will see if I have any info

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be great to know! I've check pretty much everything else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
153 Posts
What was the outcome at the end of the day for ya Aaron?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,716 Posts
I would bet his main fusible link was the problem.

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After days of tracing wires and checking every fuse, links, grounds, pulling the junction box, pulling the dash apart. (i do have power from the F2-14 fuse to the cluster) So i think the instrument cluster is causing the issue. Also i found someone that will let me use their instrument cluster to see if thats whats causing this problem. So hopefully I'll have an update later next week.

Reactions: phil_phil

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

It turned out to be the I Sense wire that came from the cluster to the pin connecter in the engine area.

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well since I had power going into the cluster (#1 green/red wire from junction block) and had power going out of the cluster (#2 green/red wire to alternator) I knew that there had to be a problem from the cluster to the pin connecter, so I did a continuity test and got nothing.. I made a jumper wire connected it to the #2 wire on the back of the cluster and connected it to the male side of the pin connecter, and fired up the truck and it sat at 12.6 for a while (glow plugs) then jumped up to 14v. Then I removed the wire while still running and it dropped to 12 then 11 reconnected the jumper wire and 14v again. Replaced the wire from the cluster to the pin connecter and now its all good.
Hope this explanation is what you are looking for.

·
california deplorable
11,385 Posts
looks like you found it I was going to say I have an 04 and had close to the same problem and found a wire that was not carrying power right so it would work then drop off and drove me nuts for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Well since I had power going into the cluster (#1 green/red wire from junction block) and had power going out of the cluster (#2 green/red wire to alternator) I knew that there had to be a problem from the cluster to the pin connecter, so I did a continuity test and got nothing.. I made a jumper wire connected it to the #2 wire on the back of the cluster and connected it to the male side of the pin connecter, and fired up the truck and it sat at 12.6 for a while (glow plugs) then jumped up to 14v. Then I removed the wire while still running and it dropped to 12 then 11 reconnected the jumper wire and 14v again. Replaced the wire from the cluster to the pin connecter and now its all good.
Indeed. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I'm glad to see you got it fixed and even happier you posted how you fixed your problem, hopefully this helps out others in the future... Congrats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have same problem but intermittent. I was looking at truck again tonight and now the alternator is putting out 13.5 and there is 12 v on the green wire. I'm guessing that I have a bad connection or the instrument cluster is taking a crap. Any ideas? Guess I need to wait n see if/when alternator quits again.

·
Turn and burn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have same problem but intermittent. I was looking at truck again tonight and now the alternator is putting out 13.5 and there is 12 v on the green wire. I'm guessing that I have a bad connection or the instrument cluster is taking a crap. Any ideas? Guess I need to wait n see if/when alternator quits again.
I would just get the multi meter out and start some continuity tests on the green wire to the cluster. Also mine did start out the way yours did intermit. That's what made me think it was the alternate at first. Just make sure your alt is good. Keep me posted! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found out the alternator had a short internal. It finally acted up again. I did some checks sand found when I unplugged alternator that the green wire would jump up to 12v. Replaced alternator. Charging good tight now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts