Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on my way to work today, I was sitting at a stop light (there's nothing new :doh:), and noticed some sort of continuous clunking sound. I didn't think much of it, figuring it was somebody else's car.

Well I just pulled into my driveway, and was sitting in Drive with my foot on the brake, and heard the noise again. Put it in Park, same thing. I could hear it best underneath the truck, almost sounds like it's at the back of the engine/tranny area.

The best way I can think to put it is it sounds like a block of wood in the dryer (only a lot more muffled and not as loud).

Any ideas? I'm drawin' a blank. I'll keep my ears open on my way back up to work here in a few minutes and report back if I notice anything else.

EDIT: I fired it up getting ready to leave again and decided to have another listen. This time I noticed that when it happens, about 65% of the time it will drag the idle down, sometimes as low as like 400, but generally more around 500. One time it surged real low, and I heard a short squeal from the pully/belt system. At this point I decided to shut it off and just take my moms old car to work. Does this offer any help?

I was trying to do some research and come up with any solutions, and the closest thing I could come up with was a bad harmonic balancer. When I grab onto it, I can't move it at all. But when the truck is idling, it looks as if the harmonic balancer has a pretty significant wobble to it.

Here's a (very chitty cell-phone quality) video of the idle:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas?? I need to get this fixed ASAP, it's my DD. I'm stuck driving my mom's old Mercury wagon that we're trying to sell :hehe:

Plus I have a hot out of town friend visiting the beginning of next month. I would rather pick her up in the PSD than in a Mercury Sable :hehe:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts