Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to make this clear, but if I understand it correctly I can put any 2000-2003 AT transmission 7.3L computor in my early 99 and it will work to upgrade it. I already know I'll have to get my TS chip reburned and just wanted to know for sure that when I go to the junk yard I can take home any one for 2000 to 2003 that had a AT trans in it? Anyone have any input on this do it sound right.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have and early 99 and my computer went out about a month or so ago and i got a used one out of an 01 and put in it and it works great no problems after about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have and early 99 and my computer went out about a month or so ago and i got a used one out of an 01 and put in it and it works great no problems after about 1000 miles.
Thanks for the info

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I run an 01 PCM in my truck and it drives a ton better. I have had the new PCM for almost a year and logged a little over 18K since it was put in and I have never had any problems.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run an 01 PCM in my truck and it drives a ton better. I have had the new PCM for almost a year and logged a little over 18K since it was put in and I have never had any problems.
Thanks for that

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I don’t know about any PCM but I got a PMT1 code DPC 422 family (numbers on the computer sticker) from an 01 at an online junkyard for $75 delivered and put it right in my truck and it ran fine, better than with the old XLE8.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Here is a pic of the label on my computer;

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, let me ask the original question again... ANY 7.3L, Auto trans, standard emission ECM will work in my EARLY 99 (Oct 12, 1998). Reason I'm asking is I went to two salvage yards here and both told me this is not accurate. They say I have to match the first part of the number... ie - 1C3F or may give problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly what advantages are there by switching to an 01 computer?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
There is more dyno tuning done on them than other PCM's so more power can be squeezed out of the engine. Plus the transmission tuning is much better and is a lot more custom tunable.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
samiam- I just bought a PMT2 PCM online for $80 shipped- they had a few others listed but they will have to pull them to see what the program code is. Phone number is 800-477-1367.
If you ever make it south look me up- I'm about 2 hours east of Klamath Falls.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i think the dash hook ups are different for 02~03 so maybe the pcm is different too.
I could be wrong , but personaly i would stick with an 00 or 01....seems like pmt1 &2 work. fwiw i run a pmt2 on my early 99 .

quicker smoother shifts, cruise light now works and I got 1mpg better...no bs.
prob cause of the better shifts...injectors seemed ever so slighty quieter too.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
soutmike- you are right, the 02-03 have a different pinout than the 01 and prior. What other mods do you have to your engine besides the PMT2? I can't wait for mine to get here- thought it was here today but it was a false alarm.

·
Living on a prayer
291 Posts
Superduty4x4 did you get that PMT2 in there yet? i'm interested to hear your impression of stock differences.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
A thought occured to me today- I wonder if the new PCM will even work with my truck since it's a Cali model- any thoughts from the gurus?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
What is different with a Cali early99 and a regular early99?

I did not know there was such an animal?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The Cali models have a slightly different fuel system (with bigger injectors maybe?) and a different glow plug setup from what I understand (Cali's use a GPCM instead of a GPR is what I've been told, although I'm yet to find anything resembling a GPCM in my truck. I did throw an SES light from a dead glow plug though, which doesn't normally happen).
Sounds like I probably have nothing to worry about, just a thought that crossed my mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts