Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: Please don't laugh - i need advice. I've had this truck since new (2000, F350, CC, 7.3L TCD, 4x4.) I can't seem to get my mechanic to believe me its not her f-ing batteries! I haven't seen any comments or threads with an issue like this - I've been searching for hours!

Problem: Truck had a hard start first thing in morning and finally died 3rd time I went to start her that day, she'd been driven 30 miles after 1st start and 1 mile after 2nd. Jumped her and she started right up. Got to work, parked for 2 hours and she wouldn't start again without a jump.

I also noticed a melted/burned wire running from the driver's side cab to the driver's side battery. Attached to positive pole and grounded to truck frame. Never noticed it before. :doh: It looks like it has a factory harness - but dumb me can't identify its purpose.

Any ideas what I should be looking for? Trying a new mechanic but don't want to go in there seeming completely stupid.

Background: Since June I had noticed a clicking when i turned the key just before she turned over but 2 different mechanics told me it was nothing to worry about when in for routine service in June & winterizing in October. Truck died about 3 weeks ago - nothing happened when turned key - no dashboard/interior lights, no gauges, no click, no crank, nothing. Wouldn't jump start. Mechanic replaced battery and cables (note these batteries were heavy duty batteries & less than 2 years old) and apparently it solved the problem. Picked up truck after hours, let it warm up about 5 minutes, then, when shifted into reverse, black smoke poured out under hood & completely filled cab. It smelled like melting plastic/rubber but when I opened hood couldn't see what had caused the smoke. Left for mechanic to re-evaluate. Of course when he started it no smoke showed up. He told me was likely PS fluid that had leaked onto manifold (?) when we loaded truck on flatbed to tow in to shop, burning off (please stop laughing - i didn't think it was a battery issue so i had it brought to my mechanic) So i took her home, she started okay for a week, then started to resist a little and blowing much more exhaust that ever before. I always let GP work for at least 1 minute before turning over. It's been around 20 here in morning.

Thank you. Long-winded i know.... appreciate any insight...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but you should NOT have any wires going from positive battery terminal to the truck frame. You are lucky your truck hasn't burned to the ground. My advice is to find a new mechanic, and don't ever let this guy touch anything you own again. It seems that your mechanic may have mixed up some wires when changing your batteries, and there's no telling what may be fried now.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top