Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
california deplorable
10,710 Posts
I am just going to go with a set of pioneers from my old truck with matching amp always sounded greast in there so...
PLUS
they are already paid for :D
makes em sound better right there :hehe:

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The w3 is probably the most versatile sub I have ever used. I have sold thousands of them and they have worked very well in pretty much any enclosed I have ever stuffed them into. (Obviously you want to get as close to spec as possible) but when a customer already has a box they aren't willing to replace I have no choice. You can't go wrong with that sub. Good choice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Good to know! I'm glad you didn't say the W7 would be the better choice. W3's at $199 each ain't bad, but $499 for a W7 is hard to swallow..

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am just going to go with a set of pioneers from my old truck with matching amp always sounded greast in there so...
PLUS
they are already paid for :D
makes em sound better right there :hehe:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Haha. I would have done the same. I would bring this new system with me to my next vehicle, but I'll be driving this truck until one of us dies.

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The only part the concerns me about this amplifier is the "fixed" sub-sonic filter. What does a sub-sonic filter do? I want the ability to adjust as many dials as possible to acheive that perfect sound..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Anything below 20 hz is inaudible to the human ear, but can still be reproduced by the subwoofer. However these extreme low frequencies can cause woofer damage at higher volumes/power levels by over excursion. A sub sonic filter removes these frequencies, thus saving possible damage to your subwoofers.

25hz is a good setting.

That amp is waaaaay more than you need for driving two 8's.

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Anything below 20 hz is inaudible to the human ear, but can still be reproduced by the subwoofer. However these extreme low frequencies can cause woofer damage at higher volumes/power levels by over excursion. A sub sonic filter removes these frequencies, thus saving possible damage to your subwoofers.

25hz is a good setting.

That amp is waaaaay more than you need for driving two 8's.
Oh I see. The fixed sub-sonic filter is good to have. What's a good amp for driving two 8's? I may upgrade speakers down the line too..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
kicker amps usually have good bang for the buck, the 300.1 that ironcobra linked to would be fine.

Me personally, I prefer old school powa lol. An old soundstream ref 300 would drive those quite nicely.....but they are hard to come by these days.

there is also the jl 250/1, its on Crutchfield, about 200 bucks. From what I've heard, its a decent little amp.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
In my opinion, you don't need equalization, unless you are one of those people who likes to really tweak your sound.

The only time I ran equalization was in sq. Improper equalization can not only sound really bad, but can also run the risk of speaker damage due to improper tuning. If you aren't sure of the proper way to tune an eq, take the time to learn the right way. It's worth the extra time and fuss if you get it right. But then again, its about the sound YOU like to have, so I guess its your call. I wouldn't bother with it though if it were my coin.

If you are going to upgrade your mid and high speakers, I like the 5 channel amp setup. It's simple to install, and easy to tune. Downside is flexibility for upgrading, and cost. Usually you can pick up separate amps for the same amount, and get better flexibility. Often the 5 channels are quite large, and mounting is sometimes an issue. If you are interested in upgrading your door speakers, I am a big fan of Focal speakers. I highly recommend them.

I've heard good things about JL's factory integration equipment, but I've never used it. As far as Audio Control signal processing equipment, I can never recommend them due to my personal experience a long time ago. Lots of people have had good experience with them, but I didn't.

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had an equalizer in my Tahoe's system and it was tweaked up nicely with some trial and error. I have a good ear from playing music and some tweaking experience from amps/pedals/processors, but I should probably read up on some theory. I learned on my Tahoe that you can create strong imbalance from improper tweaking.

I'm definitely pulling the trigger on the DX600 and KQ30, but not sure about the LC7. I like the idea of having AccuBass control...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
What year is your truck? What OEM head unit do you have? nav, in dash changer, sync or just AM/FM/CD

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
2013 with Navigation/MyFord. The audio settings are a joke. I tuned up the Highs/Lows and tuned down the Mids. That's all they give you..

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Yep, not very many options for OEM integration.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I've never had a look at the stock audio setup on a nav system like you have, but I assume it would work, as it takes speaker level inputs and converts them to pre-out levels.

I just am not sure if the stock setup you have uses an external amplifier, or if the head unit has an internal amplifier to drive the door speakers.

For example, my outlander uses an external infinity amplifier. The in dash Infinity changer has no internal amplifier. I built my own box to convert their single ground 5 pin DIN cable setup to RCA preouts and connected them to my new amplifier vs. using a line converter system. Didn't want to amplify it, then convert it back to pre-amp levels, then amplify it again.

I'm sure yours uses an external amp for the subwoofer, I just don't know about the rest of the speakers.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
PAC makes a converter, but it isn't compatible with the Sony system, which I think you said you had......

21 - 40 of 111 Posts