Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Powerstrokers. I'm brand new to diesels and Ford. I've had my 06 F350 for about 2 months and already having problems. The truck has 120XXX miles and was just checked out by the dealership when I bought it and they said all was good... A few days ago I noticed the engine temp gauge getting hot so I shut her down and looked under the hood to find a weird smell and no coolant. I filled it back up to drive home and noticed white smoke on the start up and at idle but not at highway speed. I'm now scared to drive it. Been reading the forum for a while now though I just joined and would like yalls opinions please. Thanks in advance.

Also no mods that I know of. Just ask if you need more info to possibly help.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Pull your egr valve, see if it's wet in the intake. You need a monitor. Sounds like a busted egr cooler, and/or blown head gaskets. Dont drive it like that.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I suggest you buy an Edge Insight CTS monitor, they cost $399.00 but it will give you a multitude of readings from all your sensors. It sounds like head gaskets to me. You might take it back to the stealership and talk to them.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Don't bother with the gauges until you get it fixed. Reason being, the gauges can't tell you chit if you don't drive it and I would *HIGHLY* recommend you don't drive it.

Like Southend said, pull the EGR and see if its wet inside. From what you have said it sounds like you at least have a blown EGR cooler which means you also have a clogged oil cooler and possibly blown head gaskets.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I suggest you buy an Edge Insight CTS monitor, they cost $399.00 but it will give you a multitude of readings from all your sensors. It sounds like head gaskets to me. You might take it back to the stealership and talk to them.
^^^ the point being.......you could have saved yourself from the headaches, and your truck from degradation. :thumbup:

Don't bother with the gauges until you get it fixed. Reason being, the gauges can't tell you chit if you don't drive it and I would *HIGHLY* recommend you don't drive it.

Like Southend said, pull the EGR and see if its wet inside. From what you have said it sounds like you at least have a blown EGR cooler which means you also have a clogged oil cooler and possible blown head gaskets.
I concur....again. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was just waiting on money for the cts didn't expect things to go wrong so soon. Looking into the bulletproof endeavor now. Was quoted $4350 for studs, gaskets, edge insight with egt probe, fluid flush, new oil cooler, tuner, pyrometer, and egr delete. Is it a good deal?

And haven't driven it since I noticed the problems.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm a diy guy, that price is out of the question for me, so I can't help you there. If your heads end up being bad, add nearly 2k to that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to do it just not very confident as I've never tackled a task like this. I also want to fix it all at once and make it bulletproof. Thanks for the replies I'll probably try to check the egr this weekend when I get some time and post what I find though from all I've read I'm sure its toast

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'd like to do it just not very confident as I've never tackled a task like this. I also want to fix it all at once and make it bulletproof. Thanks for the replies I'll probably try to check the egr this weekend when I get some time and post what I find though from all I've read I'm sure its toast
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, we'll help you get through it. Youtube srmastertech.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Also, check out the TN chapter closest to you. There might be someone near you that has done it before and is willing to lend a helping hand for the low low payment of pizza and beer. :thumb:

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
You for sure have a blown egr cooler. I can guarantee that at the minimum it's the cooler. Depending in how long it has been doing this and how you drive it while it's been like this I would say at the minimum your looking at a new egr cooler and oil cooler with a coolant flush.

If your worried about doing it yourself click the link in my signature that will give you an idea of what to expect for a DIY head stud and gasket job. In my thread I'm also adding some other go fast goodies and updating everything under the hood with updated OEM parts. It's really not that bad at all.

When you get your repairs done than you need to get a monitor on the truck immediately afterwards. I use the Dashboss setup as I have an iPhone and the dashboss requires an iOS device to run but if you have one already than you only have to spend $170 and you have a monitoring solution that does more than the edge cts that will run you over $600 for a full complete setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts