Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno:OK here we go...Driving home yesterday my battery light comes on and the gages go dead and so does the radio. Knowing it was probally the alternator I convinced the wife I should replace the batterys since they need it anyways. So now I have two nice shiney optima's on the ford. Well needless to say when you reved the truck it would do the same thing gages go dead and the radio goes off. At idle they worked fine. So i pull the alternator. After the truck sat for about an hour and a half the alternator was still so hot you couldnt touch it. All surrounding metal was just warm.

Put the new alternator in problem fixed BUT......after going on a 1/2 hour test drive I get back touch the alternator and its HOT. The old spit test made it boil.

I have read a few post about frequent alternator replacement and have heard af a ground wire around the radiator may be bad.

So any gurus know how hot an alternator should run. I cant imagine anything operating for long under that heat but I dont know.

Please advise.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just replaced my alternator and it was HOT HOT after minute or two of running from a cold alternator. But it has been 4 days or so and is working like a champ. When I took the old alternator off it took at least 2 hours before I could touch it to remove it and was still hot but not enough to burn.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
This in what the salesguy DIDNT tell you....

Manufacturers of high performance batteries increase CCA's by essentially
lowering the source resistance of the batteries. This also lowers the load resistance of the batteries when charging (one and the same thing)Hi performance batteries will demand more current until they reach full charge.
High capacity batteries will take even longer for a full discharge/recharge cycle.

When your batteries are discharged...Now your alternator is going to be called upon to work at a higher current rate to recharge faster. Also realise that ,depending upon the condition of how the batteries are charged and stored, (when new,)you may be operating your alternator at 100 percent capacity for 15 minutes or literally FOR HOURS...unless you take the batteries
and put them on a charger immediately after purchasing.
Otherwise ,
Your alternator may survive the stress...maybe not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reading some other post and was supecting this. First thing in the morning im going to put them on charge. Ill see if that helps. Will the alternator run hotter than the surrounding items under the hood? Im going to check with my buddies truck tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts