Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1996 :icon_ford: F-350 Crew cab 4x4 Long-bed XLT. This is my first Diesel. Could someone please provide me with some general info. It has 230k, Intake, chip (don't know what kind), boost/EGT gauges, and 3.55 gears.

The truck has been sitting for a while (not sure how long) but has been ran once in a while to keep it in good running order. The tires appeared to be in great condition, but I had two blow outs on the way home (Houston to Dallas) so now have 4 new tires. The A/C needed recharged, the guy at the auto parts store said because it sat unused the seals dried up, and caused it to leak, I put a conditioner in to help. It blows cold.....kind of. That's about all I know about it.

It needs an oil change, and the fuel filter changed, is there anything else I should check or change?

In the gas vehicles I've had i always used a Pre-oil change cleaner, is there an equivalent for a diesel or is that a bad idea?

What is the best oil to use, and is there a recommended oil additive to use?

What can I do to ensure I am getting the best fuel economy?

I just ran Seafoam through both tanks, and now have 2 full tanks of straight diesel. Is there anything else I should do as far as fuel additives or to maintain the fuel system?

Thank you for all the info you can provide

Pictures as requested!

Optima Batteries, and Intake, please let me know if you notice any other upgrades or anything that looks out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
congrats on the new truck! sounds just like my truck. :hehe: if you're running that chip, the best thing you can do is replace that pancake of a downpipe with a 3" and put a full exhaust on. it will help keep your EGTs down.

as for oil, i use rotella. its never a bad idea to run synthetic.

for mileage, you're set up pretty good. you have the best gears for it. is it a 5 speed?

there are a ton of different fuel additives that you can run. i'm running stanadyne right now, but not really impressed with it. a lot of guys are running diesel kleen or 2 stroke oil.

and of course, lets see some pics of your new rig! :thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics posted!
Yes, its a 5-speed..... wouldn't have it any other way!

I think it has a new exhaust on it, not sure bout the down pipe.

2-stroke oil? As in ATV or PWC 2-stroke oil?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
294 Posts
From the looks of it, i think the down pipe has already been replaced,
second vote for rotella works great. and the best mod for mpgs is gonna be a delete on the lead foot. Also taking out the cat and muffler helped me ALOT for mpgs probably jumped 4-5 up

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,655 Posts
has a high pressure oil cross over line that looks rather rough. never seen a rubber one before. Id either replace it with a braided stainless one or do away it it. Other than that nice truck. DONT USE OIL CLEANERS!!!! just do a normal oil change

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
i notice you have aftermarket bumpers and the alcoa wheels...wanna trade? :D i'll drive down and take them off your hands!

as for the line, i can't remember what site has the braided line but i'm sure someone will help you out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m a fan of Lucas products in every thing, I see you have the tymar intake(best bang for the buck), I only use the motorcraft filters also(on the fuel filter the oem one has the biggest detent inside the pushes on the stem in middle of the filter hosing), and yes a down pipe is a good start on exhaust, you can run 4 or 5'' pipe and a full flow muffler is a option or straight pipe, oh get rid of the cat its junk(or rod it out and bolt it back up so it looks like its there), when you change the oil on top or the hpop res. fill it with oil treatment of your choice. Check for rubs in all the rad. hose under the trk. there bad about that. and your bumper look alot like mine where are thy from? And beans diesel proformance has very good prices

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Well www.dieselsite.com is usually the preferred ones although ive blown out 2 of them (no worries as I am the only one I know who has ever had an issue)
i just checked their site and it says they dont carry them anymore :dunno:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i notice you have aftermarket bumpers and the alcoa wheels...wanna trade? :D i'll drive down and take them off your hands!

as for the line, i can't remember what site has the braided line but i'm sure someone will help you out.
:rofl: I think i'll hang on to em! That was one of the things I really wanted when looking for a truck, I got lucky enough to find a truck with front and back Ranch Hands!

However they need some reconditioning, Powder-coat or Rhino liner?

The spray in bed liner was done poorly, any tips on how to repair/replace that?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
very nice TX truck man!

before you chip get gauges, pyro and tranny 9if auto), boos tis never a bad idea either.

most use Rotell 15w40 or Motorcraft. Synthetic is twice as much but is an upgrade. persronal preference really.

fuel additives, 2-stroke ashless oil or 5% or higher biodisel are some favorites.

chip, take your pick, DP, TW, PHP, Gearhead, etc. just steer clear of canned 'tuners'

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when you change the oil on top or the hpop res. fill it with oil treatment of your choice. your bumper look alot like mine where are thy from?
I watched a youtube video about a "top end oil change" but read on a forum it was a waste of time. Is that what your referring to? Is it something that I need to do? (it made sense to me)

Got the truck from Houston, not sure where the previous owner got them.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
:rofl: I think i'll hang on to em! That was one of the things I really wanted when looking for a truck, I got lucky enough to find a truck with front and back Ranch Hands!

However they need some reconditioning, Powder-coat or Rhino liner?

The spray in bed liner was done poorly, any tips on how to repair/replace that?
going once...going twice...

are you sure? i dont mind making the drive! i'll even do all the work! :hehe:

i would just get them powdercoated. you're paint seems to be in good shape so some good shining bumpers will go good with it!

for the bed liner, i dont really know what would be the best way to take the old one out. i'm sure someone will have an answer though.

very nice TX truck man!

before you chip get gauges, pyro and tranny 9if auto), boos tis never a bad idea either.

most use Rotell 15w40 or Motorcraft. Synthetic is twice as much but is an upgrade. persronal preference really.

fuel additives, 2-stroke ashless oil or 5% or higher biodisel are some favorites.

chip, take your pick, DP, TW, PHP, Gearhead, etc. just steer clear of canned 'tuners'
x2 on the gauges. just want to make sure you keep an eye on everything.

any of those companies would be great. i would recommend TW, PHP, and BDP.

I watched a youtube video about a "top end oil change" but read on a forum it was a waste of time. Is that what your referring to? Is it something that I need to do? (it made sense to me)

Got the truck from Houston, not sure where the previous owner got them.
its not a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I watched a youtube video about a "top end oil change" but read on a forum it was a waste of time. Is that what your referring to? Is it something that I need to do? (it made sense to me)...
it wont hurt. its not supposed to be necessary. but after what i have seen come out of there after 100 kor 200k it makes you think. fwiw, i plan on doing it once or twice a year for s&g's. the more you stick around the more youll see what a debate this can turn into. but it wotn hurt anything if you do change it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The paint is in great shape, 2-3 small spots that need to be repaired, but all in all no complaints! Powder-coating the bumpers is what I was thinking as well, had a friend recommended bed liner, but I thought it would look tacky.

Truck has a chip (don't know what kind, but was told its about 8 yrs old), Has boost and pyro gauge. However I'm thinking of upgrading to Edge programmer.

I believe it has a straight exhaust not sure about the cat, ill snap a few pics later, but i'm thinking stacks are in the future!

Is there an inline fuel filter or just the one mounted to the motor?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
The paint is in great shape, 2-3 small spots that need to be repaired, but all in all no complaints! Powder-coating the bumpers is what I was thinking as well, had a friend recommended bed liner, but I thought it would look tacky.

Truck has a chip (don't know what kind, but was told its about 8 yrs old), Has boost and pyro gauge. However I'm thinking of upgrading to Edge programmer.

I believe it has a straight exhaust not sure about the cat, ill snap a few pics later, but i'm thinking stacks are in the future!

Is there an inline fuel filter or just the one mounted to the motor?
don't get the edge. get a custom tuned chip. there are many good companies to choose from.

stacks would be a great upgrade! ditch the cat too..its just too restrictive.

there is not another fuel filter..just the one smack dab in the middle of the motor.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
:agree:

edge would likely be a downgrade. if the chip you have is a TS style chip and its not too old, then a tuner like DP, PHP, etc. might be able to burn new tunes to it. with a PSD custom tunes are what you are after. tehy can be re-burned, and some comapnies for free, when you make mods.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts