Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’m not new to the diesel world but am new to the Powerstroke world. I’ve driven a (saying it quietly) ecodiesel for the last few years as a daily driver. Predictably I finally had my last nerve pushed last week with the little guy and sold it. Today I purchased a 2000 F250 XLT 7.3 Powerstroke with 215k miles.
I have very small oil and transmission fluid leaks, which absolutely look to be the seals. I was able to get the seller to compensate me on those. Any suggestions in that department are welcomed, in fact any suggestions overalls are welcomed. It’s straight piped with a K&N cold air intake but I believe that’s it.
Thanks to all, and please be gentle with my ecodiesel bullshit!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would first get rid of the K&N. Those filters will bring you nothing but grief with a turbo diesel. If you want after market look at the Donaldson 6637 from RiffRaff. The filter box on your truck is likely showing age and may be cracked so look at it very closely if you decide to keep the factory air box.

When it comes to leaks they can be very deceiving. Clean the engine from top down then to the back under, use rags and small soft brushes. Do it again then repeat again. If you have a leak on the top side of the engine it will flow down the valley drain on the rear passenger side and show at the bell housing the go everywhere. Be mindful of all your connectors, sensors, and the wiring so as to not damage them.

Use good engine solvents and lots of water. Some folks including myself like Simple Green as well and I usually use it after a solvent wash then rinse again.

If the transmission pan is leaking check all the bolts and re-touque them to 11 foot pounds. I am going on the assumption you have the auto.. The pan gasket is touted as a lifetime part and is reinforced rubber. You may need to replace it.

Also get FORScan and the OBD II adapter they recommend to use for any troubleshooting. Check for codes now and every so often to keep an eye on the health of the truck.

Advice...
Since this is also your first post, Welcome.
Sensors and control items on this truck need to be OEM, if you use corner part store or others you are likely to get knockoffs and will pay in money and frustration so do the job once, stay away form Fleebay and Cramazon. I may miss one but look at the list and I have not affiliation with any. Some trusted sources for parts.

RiffRaff Diesel
CNC Fab
Diesel O Rings
Ford Part Counter Guy/ Gal
Navistar/ International Part Counter Guy/ Gal
Apologies to others I may have missed but feel free to jump in.

Fill out the signature section with your truck details and it will make it easier for us to assist in the future.

Reactions: JohnnyP43

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, there is no box with the k&n and personally I’ve been a fan of the S&B setup in the past As far as intakes go. I like that you can close off their boxes to bring in air from outside the engine bay or open it up if you aren’t concerned about heat inside.
The leaks look very minor. I drive it about 200 miles today, majority 70+ mph and let it sit for several hours after. It may have had about 5-8 drips of oil and 2-3 drips of transmission fluid after all is said and done. I’m going to check the levels in the Morning to make sure there isn’t anything drastic going on.

I will always buy the highest quality, American made parts and sensors if at all possible.

as far as moving forward, anything you suggest in the future? Any tuners I need to look into or other upgrade parts? Transmission, etc?

·
Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
20,270 Posts
Congrats in the '00! Welcome to the ORG!

Reactions: JohnnyP43

·
Registered
2015 F350 Platinum SRW
199 Posts
Welcome and if it is wasn’t leaking then i’d be worried it’s just what they do lotsa of orings fix one next one goes but I find it soothing when i find the next leak enjoy it great truck should be good for another 215.

more than likely you’re leak is coming from the hpop leaks into the valley and down the back of the motor many threads here about it. rear main seal is almost never the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New to the 7.3 world, and I cannot for the life of me locate a transmission fluid dipstick. Can anyone tell me where the dipstick is located and if there isn’t one, how to check the fluid levels?

thanks, 2000 F250 XLT 7.3 automatic

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to spot, under the hood, pass side, in a 3/4" metal tube, "pull-ring" end, pretty conventional looking I think...

You want to check with the fluid fully up-to-temp, parked on a Level surface, idling in Park.

·
Vendor
13,465 Posts
Hey guys,

I’m not new to the diesel world but am new to the Powerstroke world. I’ve driven a (saying it quietly) ecodiesel for the last few years as a daily driver. Predictably I finally had my last nerve pushed last week with the little guy and sold it. Today I purchased a 2000 F250 XLT 7.3 Powerstroke with 215k miles.
I have very small oil and transmission fluid leaks, which absolutely look to be the seals. I was able to get the seller to compensate me on those. Any suggestions in that department are welcomed, in fact any suggestions overalls are welcomed. It’s straight piped with a K&N cold air intake but I believe that’s it.
Thanks to all, and please be gentle with my ecodiesel bullshit!
Welcome to the .ORG

Find out where the drips are coming down from and we can probably lead to where they are originating from.

K&N has a bad reputation with the 7.3 because of their drop in filter element. Ford actually made 3 different sized filter boxes and K&N only made 1 filter, so the K&N filter in the other two boxes didn't fully seal and dusted the turbos.

I'm more of a fan of S&B too, and hence we carry them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts