Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nice article... although Im concerned about a few things...

BAD
(1) Looks like the block is a compacted powder block.. NOT a cast block..
(2) No manual transmission option, only can get it in the 6R140

GOOD
(1) It appears with the re-designed top end that most everything from injectors, fuel rails, rocker arms, pushrods, etc etc can all be done more easily now w/o having to do cab-off

Full article here:
First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine - PickupTrucks.com News

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
HOLY EASY INJECTOR SWAP BATMAN!

The good:
1) Bosch Common Rail
2) Re-designed EGR Cooler & Valve System
3) 6 head bolts per cylinder versus 4 on the 6.0L/6.4L
4) Ease of repair without cab-off
5) Reverse Flow Cylinder Heads for super fast turbo spooling
6) Re-designed rocker arms which we all know has been an issue on both the 6.0L & 6.4L.

The bad:
1) As gahanna said the compacted powder block
2) Plastic Oil Pan
3) Connecting Rods are a bit light appearing
4) 2010 Emissions choking down its full potential

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I'm assuming ya'll got the new issue of DP mag in the last day or 2? Great full write up in it about the 6.7. It appears Ford invited DP in to do a write up on it...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
will have to check out the DP issue. with the new turbo design, i dont think upgrading turbo's is going to be very simple.... :( but hopefully it will be able to flow well enough to not need replaced when turned up :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A plastic oil pan? wtf. How do they build a 50k truck and put a confounded plastic oil pan under it.

I also didn't like the mock up of the whole truck. The front end, rear fenders, nothing

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
A plastic oil pan? wtf. How do they build a 50k truck and put a confounded plastic oil pan under it.

I also didn't like the mock up of the whole truck. The front end, rear fenders, nothing
I agree on the oil pan:tard:

I wonder if weight will be lower on the new truck:dunno:

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i'm curious as to why you guys dont like the CGI blocks? they're stronger than cast iron. CGI blocks have been known to be something like 20% stronger(dont quote me on exact #'s, i could be wrong). Rally cross blocks have been CGI for a while now. so it makes sense that a super duty truck would have a CGI block since its primary purpose is to take abuse and tow almost anything you want to pull.

My only negative on the motor is the rods look kinda puny. But i dont know what they're made of either or how strong they are either....

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's very tempting. I was going to wait for job 2, but I might have to jump on this if Matts sees potential.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The compacted graphite iron is a godsend, not a weakness.

As for the plastic oil pan- well, I can think of some quotes that were made about Glock (and other polymer) handguns 20-30-40 years ago.

The manual trans has been destined to go the way of the dinosaur for a long time- the automatic technology just left it in the dust.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No more Navistar. The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 is Ford's first diesel motor for its F-Series pickups to be developed entirely in-house after three decades partnering with the contract engine manufacturer. It will be built at Ford's plant in Mexico

Don't like that part either :doh:

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
I don't know it has always been a good time shifting your own gears... but yes I do understand the the autos are proving them self more and more....

·
Registered
113 Posts
CGI blocks are a huge leap forward for the diesel performance industry. Less wieght with more strength. How can Audi and Puegot be wrong....

I am much more concerned about the kink in the connecting rods.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The compacted graphite iron is a godsend, not a weakness.

As for the plastic oil pan- well, I can think of some quotes that were made about Glock (and other polymer) handguns 20-30-40 years ago.

The manual trans has been destined to go the way of the dinosaur for a long time- the automatic technology just left it in the dust.
i thought only the bottom half was polymer, and it was to quiet things down.

·
Registered
247 Posts
They had me sold until you said no manual tranny... Some things just feel right to me.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Matt, have you driven one of these test trucks yet?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
He has, and has posted about it in a thread in the 6.4 General Discussion forum. It's a pretty good read. If I wasn't posting with my iPhone, I would put the link to that thread up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It looks impressive but I don't think I'd plunk down 50K+ for the privilege of being the guinea pig for one of these. Maybe after they prove themselves for a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts