Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just wanted to kind of introduce myself. I recently purchased a '08 4x4 King Ranch crew cab, short bed, single rear wheel F350 with the 6.4. Love it so far! Truck is completely stock at the moment, but that will change soon. This is my first "play" diesel, so, I'm looking forward to it. I will be doing a DPF and EGR delete first thing, with other things coming in time. I would also like to do a leveling kit, and some 35"s. Suggestions are welcome!

A little about me, if ya care! I'm a Firefighter in Central Florida, and I own a little landscaping company, doing most of my work in the Villages. Although my work truck is a diesel ('00 F350 dually, crew cab, 4x4, 7.3, stock with 230k miles), I have never really gotten into diesel performance. I have always had mustangs, ranging from stock Fox bodies, and cobra's to a 700 horse '03 Cobra, to my current mid 9 second Coupe street car. The current coupe is a '93 SSP, with a R302 based 352" (3.4 stroke, 4.060 bore) with AFR 205's, a Hogan's upper/TFS R lower, built 4R70 trans, and a ton of n2o. All built by me. I started with a bare block, built 100% by me, with the exception of the machine work, balancing of the crank, boring of the block, etc. I also built the trans, starting with a newer 4R70 trans, machining off the bellhousing, and using an AOD bell instead. I used a PA manual VB, 300m stub shaft, Trans brake, billet converter with lockup, etc.

The new '08 F350 is replacing a F150 that was recently totaled (rear ended by a texting teen... Bent the frame). That truck was mostly stock, except for a 6" lift, and 37"s and 20's. I formerly used the F150 as a backup to the F350. Pulling a 24' enclosed or my large dump trailer with it was scary at times. I am certain this truck will be a much safer backup!

And now, because everyone likes pictures. Here are a few of my past vehicles. I'll have to get some of the new '08 up later, as it was raining today, and I didn't have a chance to get some decent ones.

F150 pre-accident:

The totalled F150, bent frame and all;

My old '03 when it was brand new, like <100 miles:

And when I sold it:

My '93 Coupe

My '96 cobra

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
my favorite ford color scheme lol! btw nice stangs. always wanted to own/modify one. had an f150 too.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Welcome! Sounds to me like you'll have fun with this 08!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

·
Registered
872 Posts
:worthless[1]: of your truck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here ya go guys!

The truck is pretty clean for the most part. It was a one owner truck, and seems to be well taken care of. I got it for a steal, so I can overlook the few "problems" it has. Which are few. It has a dent in the rear bumper, a hole in the bed where the previous owner had a gooseneck reciever, a couple of dings and scratches here and there, a 1" tear in the driver's seat, and the passenger's side seat warmer doesn't work. Other than that, it's great!

Hey P8ntballin2, how much did you have to trim to fit those 37's? This truck needs tires, but I'm planning on just doing 35's. I would love to do 37's if they fit with no problems.

·
Registered
872 Posts
didn't have to trim anything.. the leveling kit i got comes with hardware to pull back the inside of the fender to prevent rubbing when turning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't have to trim anything.. the leveling kit i got comes with hardware to pull back the inside of the fender to prevent rubbing when turning.

Nice! You have a great looking truck. I'll probably stick with 35's and a leveling kit for now. But it's nice to know for future reference!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And there is a heck of a learning curve for these things. With gas engines, I know how to make power. I understand them. But with these things, I look under the hood of this 6.4 and I get lost. I know that they are still just an air and fuel pump, and the more of both they burn, the more power they make. But the way they do it is completely different. Not to mention they are a ton more complicated.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And there is a heck of a learning curve for these things. With gas engines, I know how to make power. I understand them. But with these things, I look under the hood of this 6.4 and I get lost. I know that they are still just an air and fuel pump, and the more of both they burn, the more power they make. But the way they do it is completely different. Not to mention they are a ton more complicated.
get a tuner, exhaust and cai and you may never get back in your 73 lol.

best way i got to know my engine was to do an egr delete. working under the hood for hours got me real familiar with just about everything.

i came from turbo ricers- couple dsms and a 300zxtt but dropped all that years ago. however like you said the concept is the same increase air and fuel for more power and try not to blow anything haha. once you get comfortable with everything its really not complicated at all- v8 pushrod compound turbo compression ignition engine. maintenance is key. youll quickly learn of the fragile parts especially the fuel system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

best way i got to know my engine was to do an egr delete. working under the hood for hours got me real familiar with just about everything.

i came from turbo ricers- couple dsms and a 300zxtt but dropped all that years ago. however like you said the concept is the same increase air and fuel for more power and try not to blow anything haha. once you get comfortable with everything its really not complicated at all- v8 pushrod compound turbo compression ignition engine. maintenance is key. youll quickly learn of the fragile parts especially the fuel system.

Hahaha! I already don't like driving the 7.3. I cut my commercial accounts today, and I floored it, and nothing happened. Granted, the equipment and trailer totals 14k+lbs, but still.

I love those 300z's. I think they look better than the new ones. Growing up around Atlanta, we had a couple of quick Mitsu's up there, the AWD cars always scared me because you never knew what was pulling up next to you. The 9 second cars looked exactly like the 16 second cars.

As for learning, well, I hope to learn on here, and by other's experiences, rather than my own! So, what is fragile with the fuel systems?

·
Registered
336 Posts

I miss my old Talon. All the heartbreak and money that had to be poured into them just to keep them running for an hour.. (sigh)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hahaha! I already don't like driving the 7.3. I cut my commercial accounts today, and I floored it, and nothing happened. Granted, the equipment and trailer totals 14k+lbs, but still.

I love those 300z's. I think they look better than the new ones. Growing up around Atlanta, we had a couple of quick Mitsu's up there, the AWD cars always scared me because you never knew what was pulling up next to you. The 9 second cars looked exactly like the 16 second cars.

As for learning, well, I hope to learn on here, and by other's experiences, rather than my own! So, what is fragile with the fuel systems?
yeah those dsms are pretty quick and pretty cheap to make fast. miss my z. wish i had pics. it was before digi cams were readily avail. well i might be able to find one on my 200 mhz workstation lolol.

the skinny on the fuel system is dont get any water in it or the pump goes boom. then lift cab replace EVERYTHING at a HEFTY PRICE. so drain w/f separator once a month. new filters every 10k. fuel additive good.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I miss my old Talon. All the heartbreak and money that had to be poured into them just to keep them running for an hour.. (sigh)
2g sucked cause they crank walked. 1gs were great. owned both. throw some 2g pistons in the block and strap on a hybrid garrett add fuel and youll be over 400 whp. i kinda want to find another one to play around with on the track but between the truck and boat i think good haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hahaha! Yea, that's not fun. The last trans I built was like that. Built it, followed the advise of someone I shouldn't have, and put a stock stub shaft in it. The guy was telling me that the stock stub shaft in these 4R70's is like a fuse, that keeps the rest of the trans completely safe. I broke it on the first pass. So the trans had to come out again. Ohh, and I just finished freshening up the coupe's engine (New pistons, rings, extensively ported intake, mildly ported heads, new valve springs, lighter locks and retainers, and some other odds and ends), and I'm also cleaning the car up, getting rid of the power brakes, running new, bent and flared by me, stainless brake lines, and smoothing the engine bay. Here is a pic of the fresh engine:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts