Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for talking my call 1st time long time...
I bought a 07 6.0 4x4 CC with 160k miles EGR deleted and studded yesterday. Anyway I drove this thing for 2 hours on the test drive in town, back road etc. It has a little vibration I could feel in the on my back while driving, figured it was the 33 MT tires. Runs and drives great, I get it home after the purchase and take the chrome brush guard and need to run to home depot. I take off in it and its great while driving I went into a curve and noticed a bad vibration not so much in the steering wheel but all over when I had my foot on the gas but I wasn't giving it enough push to downshift.

So I drove around longer and noticed if off gas no crazy vibration, foot in the gas it was fine. The only time I felt it was if I was just applying pressure to the pedal if that makes any sense. Got it back home and my buddy next door drove it and did the same thing. We crawled under the truck and checked the drive shaft, we noticed play in the carrier bearing, but don't know how much play should be there. Any idea of what it could be, I was sick to my stomach all night last night cause of this.

I know it's probably something simple but I'm the sky is falling type of fella. I don't know if it matters or not, but it had a full chrome brush guard on it and I took it off after I got it home for the 1st time. Could that have anything to do with it? Sorry for the long post, just needing some help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This isn't really my area, but the carrier bearing will have some play up/down and side to side as the rubber isolator allows it.

Does it do it whether you're going straight or turning?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thanks for talking my call 1st time long time...
I bought a 07 6.0 4x4 CC with 160k miles EGR deleted and studded yesterday. Anyway I drove this thing for 2 hours on the test drive in town, back road etc. It has a little vibration I could feel in the on my back while driving, figured it was the 33 MT tires. Runs and drives great, I get it home after the purchase and take the chrome brush guard and need to run to home depot. I take off in it and its great while driving I went into a curve and noticed a bad vibration not so much in the steering wheel but all over when I had my foot on the gas but I wasn't giving it enough push to downshift.

So I drove around longer and noticed if off gas no crazy vibration, foot in the gas it was fine. The only time I felt it was if I was just applying pressure to the pedal if that makes any sense. Got it back home and my buddy next door drove it and did the same thing. We crawled under the truck and checked the drive shaft, we noticed play in the carrier bearing, but don't know how much play should be there. Any idea of what it could be, I was sick to my stomach all night last night cause of this.

I know it's probably something simple but I'm the sky is falling type of fella. I don't know if it matters or not, but it had a full chrome brush guard on it and I took it off after I got it home for the 1st time. Could that have anything to do with it? Sorry for the long post, just needing some help. Thanks
It sounds like it could possibly be pinion bearings. If you grab the drive shaft where it connects to the yoke if there any play there. You should not have any play in that bearing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't really my area, but the carrier bearing will have some play up/down and side to side as the rubber isolator allows it.

Does it do it whether you're going straight or turning?
Doesn't really make a difference if it's a straight away or a curve.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like it could possibly be pinion bearings. If you grab the drive shaft where it connects to the yoke if there any play there. You should not have any play in that bearing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'll have to slide under and see.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Could be anything from a miss in the engine to a lump on a tire, and everything in between

Listen to the exhaust and intake -- do they sound smooth and even?
Get the rear up on jack stands
check for binding in the u-joints or looseness in the pinion and carrier bearing, the bearing is mounted in rubber as was mentioned, so it will flex some, but not be loose
while you have the rear on the stands, look at the face of the tire as you rotate -- are the tires "round"?
See how well the front driveshaft rolls, there have been instances of the axle joints seizing

Reactions: bismic
1 - 6 of 6 Posts