Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had my 03 6.0 since May of 2014, (love it). While I've owned the truck, I've done the FPR spring upgrade (early December) and replaced both filters with Motorcraft OEM as of yesterday! My glowshift FP gauge reads 55-60 PSI at idle and 45 PSI at heavy acceleration; (I don't even wanna go into a WOT). My question is, what else could I do to help boost up this FP? I read that the HFCM(?) could be to blame. Is that the fuel pump thing where the primary fuel filter goes on the driver side? On YouTube, PowerstrokeHelp.com has given me some useful information regarding the 6.0 and it's mentioned that a healthy fuel pump could be the solution to my issue. I'm pretty handy and like to get things done without spending $$$ for something I could do with the right tools. Any ideas? Sorry if I mention any incorrect terms, I'm going to school for this stuff later in the year.

· Premium Member
2,595 Posts
When you did the blue spring fuel mod did you use all the parts, the reason i am asking is sometimes short cuts are taken. :)

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I did the blue spring I had a leaky key-hole shaped gasket so that's when I decided to do the upgrade. I just threw the blue spring on where the old spring went and set her back up, so yes, you could say short cuts were taken. I didn't think I needed to use all of the o rings and such since they're are 0
Leaks now

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an updated symptom: the fuel pressure seems to irratically drop to random numbers (20s-30s) whenever I come to a stop after casually driving.
The pressure returns to its "normal" position after a couple seconds. There's no change in idle or throttle response. any thoughts?

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna double check my
Fpr spring tomorrow and make sure it's properly seated. If it is then I'll bite the bullet and buy a new pump and pray for the best. I'm too scared to even drive the truck now. (Luckily, I have the ol reliable, 7.3, handy.)

· Premium Member
1,749 Posts
I think you need to point your aim at the fuel pressure gauge and/or sending unit.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll contact glowshift or try to hook up another gauge. In the meantime, is there any way to test a fuel pump? KOEO I can hear it buzzing underneath me after the glowplugs stop clicking, so I'm assuming it's fine...?

· Premium Member
3,718 Posts
If the seal behind the spring is damaged, the pressure will always be low or could become erratic.

As far as the gauge goes, there are a number of other very good "live" pressure sensors available to calibrate/check your Glow-shift unit. You just have to decide which method you are going to use.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going back into the spring setup now and use some additional gaskets and o rings.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got into it again and it took me a while longer to finish up because I LOST one torx screw! Ugh, the PITA it was looking for it:sob:. Ended up resulting in no difference in FP. I used a few more gaskets and the setup looks much cleaner but alas nothing I'm looking to see. I'm Still leaning toward replacing the HFCM/pump now that I have some money from tax returns. Glowshift has yet to contact me back too :neutral_face:

· Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Do you have an air compressor? Screw the glowshift sending unit into the tank or line and put pressure to it. See if the Glowshift gauge says the same as the tank pressure.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No air compressor here:( but good news is glowshift contacted me and offered a new gauge w/ sender so I can eliminate the faulty gauge if necessary. I'm still on the fence of buying a fuel pump though.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up caving in and purchased a new pump + assembly for $200. Seems like a good deal. When it arrives ill let everyone know of the results. Is there anything difficult I should be expecting to face while doing the swap?

· Premium Member
2,595 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What kind of tool is it? I guess not

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, I notice my fuel pressure at idle has now dropped to 50 steadily. I'm glad I bought the fuel pump now.

· Administrator
27,124 Posts

· Premium Member
2,595 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could you substitute a wrench or something rather than buying an expensive tool?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.