Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a new owner of a 1996 F250 7.3 liter 4x4. The truck has 127,000 miles and has never been modified. I am wondering what chip modifications are available for this truck, and what the experienced members of this forum would recommend.

I normally drive my truck without a trailer, but occasionally tow a steel car hauler with one of my muscle cars on it.

I'm currently averaging about 13 MPG.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Randy

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
You should do an intake be it a diy or aftermarket company, a 3" down pipe, and if available a straight pipe too, then as for chip I've used the edge evolution on my obs, it did increase my tranny temps a bit in my 2wd, and gave it some hard shifts too, to hard imho, but custom tuning would help with trans life, good luck and more members will chime in with their uses on whom they have custom tunes with.

Is your truck stick or auto?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Tony Wildman, PHP, Beans, Tyrant, Swamps, Gearhead

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Your truck's mpg is VERY low. Give us more info on it. My truck with 35" mud tires and a 6" lift and an autotragic will get me 18mpg in the city alone... so something is up.

In the meantime order a nice 5" exhaust, 3" dp, 6637 DIY, and some tony wildman tunes :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give you all the info I can, but I need to get some schooling on this subject. I know what a 5" exhaust is, but what's a 3" dp and a 6637 DIY? I don't know what you are describing. The truck is bone stock as far as I can tell.

The 13MPG was averaged over 250 miles, half towing an empty car hauler, half witha Volvo on the hauler.

Did I mention I a newbie to this game? :)

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
13mpg is still a touch low for even that load I would think...

A 3" DP is a down pipe.. come off the turbo and down the firewall to the rest of the exhaust. The stock DP is SUPER small and restrictive. The 6637 DIY filter is the filter at the bottom of this link:
NAPA 6637 Filter DIY - Page 2 - Ford Diesel Power Forums

a 5" exhaust, 3" down pipe, and the diy 6637 filter will give you better mileage, lower egt's, and more power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts