Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Powerstroke a few weeks ago from a dealership. 2016 F350 XLT with 51k miles. It has a straight pipe and air intake. When I got it, filled it with DEF, since then I've driven 1200 miles, figured I would fill it again and didn't hardly take any. Do they not burn much? This is my first diesel that uses DEF, so I don't know a ton about them, how much they use per mile driven. Can you straight pipe these new diesels that use DEF without messing it up or screwing up all the emissions crap? Just looking for some insight is all. Thanks

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
If it is straight piped, (i.e. the original pipes are gone from turbo back), then it will use no DEF fluid.

If it is just an aftermarket exhaust from the spaceship back, then the factory usage will be normal. Typical is about a gallon per thousand miles. More if towing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is straight piped, (i.e. the original pipes are gone from turbo back), then it will use no DEF fluid.

If it is just an aftermarket exhaust from the spaceship back, then the factory usage will be normal. Typical is about a gallon per thousand miles. More if towing.
If the it's piped from the turbo back and uses no DEF, what is the good and bad of that?

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you are straight piped from the turbo back then you my friend are driving a deleted truck.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
If the it's piped from the turbo back and uses no DEF, what is the good and bad of that?
The good is you save $0.01 per operating mile and may improve the truck lifespan.

The bad is you void the factory warranty and are driving a truck that is EPA illegal. Further you will likely have little information on the modifications done to achieve strait pipe operation. That can make trouble shooting difficult and if you don’t have the programming hardware, it will be expensive to replace should you need to modify the software.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good is you save $0.01 per operating mile and may improve the truck lifespan.

The bad is you void the factory warranty and are driving a truck that is EPA illegal. Further you will likely have little information on the modifications done to achieve strait pipe operation. That can make trouble shooting difficult and if you don’t have the programming hardware, it will be expensive to replace should you need to modify the software.
Well, I guess there are some good and some bad. It was sold as is, so no additional warranties, but not sure what factory warranties I would still have left after 5yrs and on what parts.
I guess my alternative would be to take it to a diesel ship y and maybe they can give me some info on what has been done.
Luckily, where I live doesn't require DEQ or anything, so that is a plus

·
Registered
912 Posts
With it deleted you no longer have any factory warranty. If it's running good you shouldn't have much trouble and may have a nice good truck for a good long time. The only problem, and it was stated earlier, if you have some trouble then it is very hard to chase down with unknown tuning and not the original tuning device.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The D word is a bad word for the EPA. Regardless if you are tuned, I recommend you find a tuner if you don't have one and get setup with a tow tune and a dd tune. I don't recommend you tow with an unknown tune and no gauges

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The D word is a bad word for the EPA. Regardless if you are tuned, I recommend you find a tuner if you don't have one and get setup with a tow tune and a dd tune. I don't recommend you tow with an unknown tune and no gauges
I'm thinking I'll probably get a tuner. Would they be able to delete the previous tune software without having the original tuner? Also what is the suggested tuner? bully, banks, sct, superchips?

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,892 Posts
Putting one of those tuners on your truck will brick it.

If its running well, leave it be. Monitor egts if you tow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Putting one of those tuners on your truck will brick it.

If its running well, leave it be. Monitor egts if you tow.
It does run well. Would a diesel performance shop be able to put in a new tuner and override the current tune so at least I know what software it would have and have them install a EGTS monitor?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Do some searching on here if you want answers as far as tuning. A diesel shop would/should be able to get some stuff still.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can a dealer take a deleted truck for trade in? Can a dealer sell a deleted truck? I didn't think they could.
When he said dealer I assumed he meant a used car dealer but I could be wrong. Those guys don't have to do much but jockey them around as far as I know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When he said dealer I assumed he meant a used car dealer but I could be wrong. Those guys don't have to do much but jockey them around as far as I know.
Yes it was a used dealer. Not your normal name brand dealer. I didn't think they could sell deleted trucks either, but from what I've been reading, they do it all the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts