Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i supposed to run additives with this stuff. My buddy was on the dodge diesel forum and they are telling him with this new low sulfer diesel we have to add additive or 2 stroke oil to our tanks to lubricate them properly. Is this true? I use lucas everyother tank.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You dont need to add anything to your fuel, any luberacation that was removed by the low sulfer is replaced with new additives... Run it and be happy...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your the first one I have heard say that. What new additives were added?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Keep in mind sulfur was NEVER a lubricant, but by removing more sulfur from the fuel it depleted more of the lubes in the fuel, so they were mandated to replace them... There is little if any difference other then a slight drop in MPG due to the lower Celine content.

·
Registered
326 Posts
actually...and this may be somewhat contrary to other's experience, my rig, an 03 E550, seems to run better on the ULSD. Any difference in mileage is negligable at best.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
actually...and this may be somewhat contrary to other's experience, my rig, an 03 E550, seems to run better on the ULSD. Any difference in mileage is negligable at best.
my 96er rig runs worse on 100% ULSD. that is why i am running 20% biodiesel on every fill up.

·
back in the saddle
9,476 Posts
I run a "splash" of diesel kleen in every tank full. It boosts the cetane just a bit and has extra lubricating properties as well. Just good peace of mind IMO. I also notice about 1 mpg increase vs. just ULSD fuel. A half gal. at walmart runs about $15 and it lasts a couple months for my truck.

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
I lost about 2 mpg when the switch happened. i have been running an additive at least every other tank since then and the mpg is back up

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got my truck after the fuel switch so I don't have any mileage to compare it to. I agree lubricants can't hurt, I just wondered what had been added to ULSD.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Also remember--when ULSD was mandated to be on the market it was also the time when refineries were blending winter fuel. Lots of that winter blend fuel is just now getting "out of the system" so to speak. Nothing wrong with running DK though. I pour it down granny's throat every chance I get. I can't tell ya about the fuel mileage for sure since we do so much crazy stuff with our engine, but the winter mileage was definitely lower. The ULSD is actually better for your truck than LSD. It won't leave deposits in the system and gum up the works.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Also remember--when ULSD was mandated to be on the market it was also the time when refineries were blending winter fuel. Lots of that winter blend fuel is just now getting "out of the system" so to speak. Nothing wrong with running DK though. I pour it down granny's throat every chance I get. I can't tell ya about the fuel mileage for sure since we do so much crazy stuff with our engine, but the winter mileage was definitely lower. The ULSD is actually better for your truck than LSD. It won't leave deposits in the system and gum up the works.
sssssoooo, the "summer" blend will allow us to get better MPG's?? when will we get the summer stuff??

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
from what I've heard, the reason for diesel prices climbing last year was due to the additives cost. If that's true or not, I'm not sure.....but it would explain a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a newbie and have a question on this very subject, instead of starting a new thread and getting flamed I will ask it here. The new diesel is only 15ppm because of tree huggers, which is down from 300ppm if I am not mistaken. Dodge cummins forums, duramax forums are saying the same exact things. With this new diesel, you have to have some type of lubricant because the diesel no longer has it, so in the long run what is going to happen to the 6.0 and the 7.3 years from now while running on this stuff. Does this new diesel render the older diesels obosolete after so long. Is it worth buying an older diesel engine. I do not own one yet, but this topic will be a 6.0 SD. Based on what I have read also is a performance drop. What are your opinions on performance and long term reliability. Is this the end to the older diesel engine. This subject will determine wether I buy one, that is all.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No, i dont think it will ruin our older motors in the long run. If anything just add lubricant at every fill up. I use 2 stroke oil in my dodge it actually gets better mileage with it.

·
The Fat Mod
12,508 Posts
I plan on having many many years of service out of my truck. I dont think it will have many problems. There might be a few, but who is to say that is due to ULSD, or something else. Really only time will tell.

·
C-5 Crew Chief
218 Posts
I Use DK every fill up with a sweet little funnel from wal-mart that has a long hose and measurements on the side works fantastic

·
Beach Bum
26,655 Posts
You dont need to add anything to your fuel, any luberacation that was removed by the low sulfer is replaced with new additives... Run it and be happy...
ive heard that b4

from what I've heard, the reason for diesel prices climbing last year was due to the additives cost. If that's true or not, I'm not sure.....but it would explain a lot.
thats bs

its the oil companies and opeck rasing the price to fill their pocket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Before I ran straight Bio, I used 2 cycle oil (SuperTech Wal Mart brand) One oz per gallon/one quart per tankful. I calculated a 2mpg increase from straight ULSD in Blizzard, and the engine sure ran alot less clattery compared to not adding anything. Now, with the Bio it sounds the same as ULSD/2cycle blend, and Bio added to the ULSD quiets the engine but gives no mpg increase like 2 cycle, but running straight Bio costs 3mpg overall, which Ill take, cause Im only paying 1.09/ga. to make it. IMHO, 2cycle ASHLESS works very well with ULSD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm another 2stroke oil user. I mix it with ULSD at one oz per gallon. I didn't know just how loud the 7.3 had gotten until I added the oil and the engine very very noticabely quieted down. That clattery racket from the ULSD can't be good, something is wearing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just another 2 cycle guy checking in.

I've been running 2 cycle now for about 16 months. On my current truck that I picked up a month ago, I started mixing 2 cycle oil and I almost couldnt believe the difference in noise and in mpg. Just to double check I ran 2 tanks without any 2 cycle and sure enough the engine was louder and I lost 2 mpg. I've put just over 4k miles on it in the month Ive had it, and every fill up gets 2 cycle oil at 1 ounce per gallon or one quart per full tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts