Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Ford and first diesel.. I've been a lifelong GM guy. I love the truck.. but I've got def issues.

Bought this truck this past Friday with 89000 miles on it. White/gold Lariat that looks and drives great. Test drives over the course of a week went fine, no issues mechanically. The DEF was below half a tank per the computer. I went to the dealership and got 2.5 gallons of the stuff to have on hand. Took a ride south to run an errand and got the dreaded "contaminated def" message. got home and filled it, took almost all of the bottle. The level changed to ok so I took a longer drive to see if the contaminated def message would clear. After about 30 miles the message went away with 120 miles left before 55mph mode. I thought I was in the clear.

The message came back with the same 120 miles left a day later. Today I took the truck to a dealership to get the PCM flashed per the last recall. The message went away for about 2 miles and came back. I've driven about 30 miles since then and the message remains.

I bought this truck from an independent lot and I'm going to his mechanic tomorrow. Since I'm at 89k I seriously doubt Ford is going to do anything at all for me. My best hope is that the independent dealership sends it to Ford for a fix. If they don't I've got a good case for giving it back and walking away from it but I really don't want to do that.

Any ideas? I've seen tons of info about NOx sensors being replaced and the like. The NOx sensor looks like an O2 sensor, I can change that if I can find the part anywhere.

I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Generally this issue is exactly you mentioned, a bad nox sensor. I would start there first and will most likely solve your problem.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I priced one yesterday at my local Ford for the o **** bag, 280ish. They had to order

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it back to the seller's mechanic today. They found that the truck couldn't communicate with the NOx sensor.. "reprogrammed" it and it lasted most of the day until the same problem cropped back up. They'll be replacing the NOx sensor tomorrow while I'm out of town.

I hope this ends the saga.. I feel like the truck is worth it but damn if this doesn't feel like it is much harder than it should be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOx sensor replaced today.. so far, so good.

I'm starting to do my research on dpf delete now. Main decision is whether or not to have a local shop do it vs. trying it myself.

Thanks for the time.. I really do appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
NOx sensor replaced today.. so far, so good.

I'm starting to do my research on dpf delete now. Main decision is whether or not to have a local shop do it vs. trying it myself.

Thanks for the time.. I really do appreciate it!
The delete is really easy. The hardest part is dropping the exhaust. You might have a friend help as its heavy. I did mine all by myself (with some help dropping the dpf) and it took about 4 hrs, but I move slow and take my time.

Although I will say to be careful on the EGR. That bolt is very brittle and will break if your not careful.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
You might want to check and see if the replacement sensor they put on it was a Ford (Motorcraft) brand sensor, or was aftermarket. Aftermarket sensors, while cheaper, are known to be unreliable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As acejet said, it's not bad to DIY the delete, I used a floor Jack under the DPF, I also snapped a bolt from the EGR tube in the exhaust manifold, that was a PITA. Whether you do it, or have a shop do it, change out the bolts from the EGR pipes, they are M6 x1.0, the OEM bolts are junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts