Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In my search for a good OBS 7.3l I've found one that's in great shape, just a little overpriced. The dealer says the previous owner had a new trans installed and has the receipts/invoice as documentation. I don't know what the materials & labor costs are for this, but for example we'll say it runs $5,000. Is there a depreciation percentage I should be taking into account when making my offer? If the truck is worth $10k and had the $5k trans in it, that would to the unassuming eye equal $15k; however a $10k truck without a trans isn't worth $10k. So if the truck is worth $10k in great shape, and happens to have a brand new trans that was worth $5k, what should I be offering, $12.5k? Or closer to $10k because that's what the truck would be worth with the stock operational trans? I want to have a productive conversation with the dealer, but am not in the business of getting fleeced.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Dude I got to be honest we all gave you our opinion on your other thread. A transmission is around 2-3.5k for those trucks not $5k (that would be for a stage 2 or high performance build on a heavily modified truck) find another truck was our honest opinion based on experience with helping others work on their rides. We don't want anyone overpaying for a truck that still needs work and you haven't even seen yet. NEVER EVER buy a vehicle sight unseen pictures don't do squat!

It sounds like you really want this truck but it just isn't worth the price and hassle. You can wait it out and find a truck for a fair price soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this is a different truck. Great condition, much lower miles, clean title. I was using $5k as an example because it's easy to do percentages on 5's, 10's, etc.

That salvage one I was talking about is old news, the dealer had his head in the clouds.

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
I typically use KBB as a guide and negotiate from there. The price should not go up based on maintenance costs or aftermarket features.

Reactions: drivininidaho

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I suppose the tl;dr version of my question is: how much more is a $10k truck worth with a new trans vs the stock one that would have had 150,000 miles on it, if any more at all?

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
I may give them $1000 more but if it had a bad trans it would be $3-5k less than 10K

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
No, this is a different truck. Great condition, much lower miles, clean title. I was using $5k as an example because it's easy to do percentages on 5's, 10's, etc.

That salvage one I was talking about is old news, the dealer had his head in the clouds.

Whats the info on the new truck then lol?
no transmission for a obs is worth $5k unless it is a highly modified truck making big power...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I know. Like I said doing math on 5's is easier than on 3's.

'95, 7.3l, 160k miles, supercab, long bed, all stock, xlt. Dealer wants $13.7k. I'm looking to start at the KBB/NADA value of $9k (high end) and offer closer to $10k out the door.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You need to consider that most vehicles that age have had a rebuilt transmission by now so although more desirable than one with unknown transmission history, it’s not worth considerably more than any other truck with similar mileage/condition and not that unique. Upgrades and aftermarket parts are rarely worth more than 10% of there original cost and in some cases less as unmolested trucks tend to hold thier value more than one that has been modded and ridden hard (not that an upgraded transmission by itself would fit imto that category).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts