Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 04 Excursion 2 months ago and I have started having a promblem with the truck not responding when I push the acc petal down but truck still idles and I have to turn it off then restart it for it to work again but I dont know where to start to fix it. Now it idles rough when I stop at a stop light or even breaking to slow down then dies. I can normal get it restart but I have had it start and bearly run like less then 500 rpms. I need help. I plan on changeing the fuel fitters and cleaning the EGR but really dont know if that is going to work.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Definitely do the fuel filters, EGR, and make sure the air filter is clean too. Also get the truck scanned and pull any codes. That would help us to better help you...

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
The starting issue could be HPOP o-rings. They're under the valve cover on the drivers side I believe. My neighbor had hard starting and that's what they found when they got into it. EGR could probably do it too though :dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have put a scaner on it and there is no codes and the air filter is clean and the ingectors where replaced 3 or four months ago

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No because I live in a apartment complex and need to take it to work but I just tryed disconcetting the EGR and starting and it didnt start then I pluged it in but still wont start then I desconceted the batters and rehooked them up but it still wont start so right now its stuck where its at untill I can get it started

·
Premium Member
15,689 Posts
loosen the secondary filter cap and have some one turn the key on and see if fuel spews out, thatll tel ya if yur gettin fuel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got it started and egr cleaned but cant get the primerly fuel filter off. Drain plug is rusted out and half missing from rust. Anyone know where i can get a new one and how to get the cover off to change the filter.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
The cover is like a 36 or 37mm 6pt socket, can't remember which off the top of my head. You don't need to necessarily drain the fuel from the drain on the side, but it's a lot less messy if you can. If you can't then just brave the diesel bath and unscrew the cover.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well like i said i have egr clean and unpluged and no codes showed up. I am still haveing the promblem but not as offen now. The truck is surging alot between 100 and 500 rpms. accelator still not responding all the time and some times it takes a long time for the truck to get going or any power. so i am starting to think it someting to do with the FICM or PCM dose anyone think so to?

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
what are you using to pull codes, a programmer (if so what kind) or an actual scanning tool. Some are much better than others...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a scan tool but now i can even stop at a stop light or stop sign with out it dieing and i have to but it N before stoping and run the egine at 1000 rpms just to keep it from dieing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I changed the fuel filter and had it hook up to a computer and pulled nine codes: P0299, P0403, P0405, P0500, P0500, P2284, P2287, P2289, P2614, P2617. Now I am wonder what to do about it now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts