Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, im new to the site and looking at a truck and need some advice. I sold my 05 250 PSD a few years ago and since then have been looking for another one. My buddy is selling his, its an 06 250 CC with the short box w/ 19k miles. He drives less than a mile for work and never uses the truck. He just got it back from the dealership because it began blowing white smoke and they discovered the turbo had oil in it. The oil was only in the exhaust side, not the intake side (if that makes sense). Well he had an SCT program in it, 90hp tune and a full aero exhaust. Dealer put in the reman turbo and reprogrammed the computer. All is well now. My question is the warranty runs out next year and the truck has never had any other problems. So the head studs havent been done and the egr is still intact. If I buy the truck and im only gonna use it for commuting and towing a boat and my quads etc. once in awhile. Should I be concerned with the engine for future problems relating to head gaskets etc? Should I purchase the extended warranty? Basically im gonna leave the truck alone and maybe run the 90hp tune when not towing, should I forsee big problems with the engine? Any thoughts on the reman turbo? Thanks again and sorry for the long post, any help is greatly appreciated.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
i love my 06, worst thing you can do with these engines is drive them 1/2 mile everday and shut them off... like your buddy does.... thats why the turbo had issues, but i would not be to worried about anything else.... 19k is super low miles, if you get a good price, im sure that would be a great truck.... i would not recommend extended warranty, but thats cause i fight the dealer on everything because of my lift etc.... sounds like they already know this truck has had a tune on it?? so know they have a right to deny any future service, and if they put that in there computer network, all other dealers will too..... so i would skip the extended warranty, however if you have good relations with that dealer, know the service manger etc, he says you buy the warranty and he will honor it, then your warranty is as good as his word, but thats about it...... good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jetjock, thanks for the quick reply. The truck looks exactly like yours, minus the lift. I used to have an 05 brand new PSD and sold it because I only commuted about a mile to work. I felt like it was a waste and these motors want to run, not idle and drive short distances. Now I have a long 40 min commute mostly highway so ill be able to stretch her legs. Im getting a good deal on the truck so I may pull the trigger. I felt his short commute was the reason for the turbo failure too. Thanks bud!

·
Drivin the 6.mOney pit
1,672 Posts
I agree with the above except for the extended warranty part. I would jump all over the extended warranty. You can get the best ext warranty since you only have 19k on the truck. I paid 2200 IIRC for my ext warranty and they already replaced a turbo and an alternator. Then my bedplate was leaking and they had to tear my whole engine out of my truck and break it down to fix the leak(all covered under warranty). I paid out of my pocket to have the ARP studs thrown in since the engine was out and apart anyways. They only charged 1300 to do the studs and take the heads to a machine shop to be checked and decked if necessary.

Those few things already paid for the warranty ten fold. I would ask a tech on here to run the VIN and see if there is anything documented about the truck previously having a programmer.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I have seen way too many extended warranty horror stories to spend my money on one. I'm glad you made out Army but there are lots of people being screwed. Blueline if you can get the Ford extended warranty out to 200k maybe I'd go for it. I would strongly suggest you get an Edge Insight to monitor you trucks vitals. You really need to watch your ECT and EOT to prevent egr cooler and head gasket trauma. If those 2 get more than 15 degrees apart it's time to rebuild the oil cooler. If it is adressed then it's no big deal. If it's not the result is blown egr coolers and then head gaskets. Put a coolant filter on it and it will help keep your oil cooler from clogging up. Those simple things will go a long way toward keeping your truck alive and healthy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts