Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would advise against a 6.7l for a truck that is gonna be beat on and face plenty of stop n go traffic in town. The regens and def fluid are gonna kill your fuel cost...

Where as the 7.3l just wont get to 55mph as quickly as a 6.7 it. It doesn't have a complicated emissions system that does not do well is constant stop n go traffic.
Yeah, I think in addition to the points you just made...cost is a factor too. So the older the model the lower the price for the most part. Plus....all that emissions crap juts scares me off. Don't want to deal with it or having to delete things etc.

I guess if I'm gonna do it....the 7.3 is the way to go.

Plus, that 350 dualy dump that was suggested should be able to hold the fort down for several years since it's a 1 ton DRW and diesel. Kind of like I'm buying for the future in a way rather than just another 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
Yeah, I think in addition to the points you just made...cost is a factor too. So the older the model the lower the price for the most part. Plus....all that emissions crap juts scares me off. Don't want to deal with it or having to delete things etc.

I guess if I'm gonna do it....the 7.3 is the way to go.

Plus, that 350 dualy dump that was suggested should be able to hold the fort down for several years since it's a 1 ton DRW and diesel. Kind of like I'm buying for the future in a way rather than just another 3/4 ton.

There is always a cost. but even rebuilding a 7.3l engine and transmission is cheaper then an out of warranty dpf or fuel system failure on a 6.7L.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Your right. 10k trailer max. 20k gcwr.

Looks like you need a bigger truck. But 20k is a lot. So about 9 yards on the trailer. That's pretty good.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Best thing to do is probably go to the ford site and download the manual you're looking at buying. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals/sitemap.html

There's so many caveats to the towing and each year is different. Sometimes you lose a couple hundred pounds if you have 4 WD, can lose more for the King Ranch. You can gain some for the DRW and also gearing.

Pushing the limits is a pain and checking into it requires a bit of attention to detail. Speaking of which, the manuals will probably give you GVWR, which you have to check against the hitch rating actually installed on the truck. Makes driving not fun and almost as bad as a loadmaster's job on a transport aircraft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Your right. 10k trailer max. 20k gcwr.

Looks like you need a bigger truck. But 20k is a lot. So about 9 yards on the trailer. That's pretty good.

If this comes to be.....than like I said, fill up the dump trailer with a manageable weight and tow with my Silverado maybe 7-8 yards and stage at site. Then I can always fill the 350 dump up with like 4-5 yards. I'm not constantly pulling 12 yards of mulch as it stands now it's just a few times a year. so the plan I just posted above is doable. I think at 350 dump would last several years before I grow any bigger or if I grow any bigger who knows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Best thing to do is probably go to the ford site and download the manual you're looking at buying.

There's so many caveats to the towing and each year is different. Sometimes you lose a couple hundred pounds if you have 4 WD, can lose more for the King Ranch. You can gain some for the DRW and also gearing.

Pushing the limits is a pain and checking into it requires a bit of attention to detail. Speaking of which, the manuals will probably give you GVWR, which you have to check against the hitch rating actually installed on the truck. Makes driving not fun and almost as bad as a loadmaster's job on a transport aircraft.

Appreciate that.

You're right, can get to be a little overwhelming.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
FWIW, my buddy was looking heavily into this and personally in your situation, I would go with a V10 Superduty... they are relatively cheap ish, pull great and don't have the maintenance of the diesel. If you want a newer truck, the newer Superduty with the 6.2 Gasser is pretty darn nice as well but youre looking mid 20s to 30k.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
FWIW, my buddy was looking heavily into this and personally in your situation, I would go with a V10 Superduty... they are relatively cheap ish, pull great and don't have the maintenance of the diesel. If you want a newer truck, the newer Superduty with the 6.2 Gasser is pretty darn nice as well but youre looking mid 20s to 30k.

You know you're not the first person to recommend the V 10. I'm kind of surprised as I thought work trucks were all diesels. I mean I hardly ever see a construction site or larger landscape companies or any type of trades using gas motors.

I mean I guess I'd be open to it but I just figured for pulling heavy loads hauling heavy loads and just keeping it for a long time in general , a Diesel would be better. Maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
I would ask this: will the truck tow a decent to heavy trailer the majority of time? get a nice 99-2003 7.3l diesel. The v10 will get such poor fuel economy it will make up for a SLIGHT increase in maintence cost for a 7.3l. If the truck is just loaded with people and a small utility trailer a v10 would be OK. They aren't bad engines but there's a saying about the v10s. Never skip a gas station. my 7.3l gets about 14 in town with a 3k trailer/load. the v10 will get about 10 if you are lucky.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I would ask this: will the truck tow a decent to heavy trailer the majority of time? get a nice 99-2003 7.3l diesel. The v10 will get such poor fuel economy it will make up for a SLIGHT increase in maintence cost for a 7.3l. If the truck is just loaded with people and a small utility trailer a v10 would be OK. They aren't bad engines but there's a saying about the v10s. Never skip a gas station. my 7.3l gets about 14 in town with a 3k trailer/load. the v10 will get about 10 if you are lucky.

And you make a great point that's the thing… The gas mileage. That's what's eating me up now if I'm towing that dump trailer around I'm getting like 6 freaking miles per gallon! Granted it's not every day and it's not all the time… But who'd of thought I'd be getting a dump trailer and now looking for an actual work truck just one year ago? I didn't think that either was going to happen. So I would like to buy not only for now but maybe a few years down the road.

Who knows what type of jobs I'll be getting in the future. what if I'm towing a bobcat on a trailer or something like that? I can just see the gasoline gauge going to E very quickly versus a diesel.

I would say a majority of the time it's just a light utility trailer with the mowers and equipment on it. However with that dump trailers loaded up with mulch or soil or brush it might be several trips over several days when that thing is hooked up to the truck. Yeah I guess anyone can deal with poor gas mileage a couple days a month. But it's a real pain pulling that thing with a gas motor that has to be floored just to get it up to speed.

It just seems like the gas motor will pull it but it's not meant to pull it regularly...that's just the feeling I get though. I'm not doing a whole lot of it now I was real busy during the spring with the dump trailer. but who knows.
like I keep saying, what the next few years are going to bring? I would hate to get a truck and within a year or so wishing I had gotten a diesel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Also I have definitely taken your advice and a few of the other guys who helped me out. I am looking for that 7.3 exclusively. Kinda got scared off about all the bad info about the other diesels. That excludes the newest 6.4 but obviously I'm excluding that due to price.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
You know that gearing would have a huge factor in everything. That's why we have been pushing for a 450 or 550. That and you can haul more weight.

If you can find a 7.3 than so be it. But the main focus would be a 450 or 550 imho.

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
You know that gearing would have a huge factor in everything. That's why we have been pushing for a 450 or 550. That and you can haul more weight.

If you can find a 7.3 than so be it. But the main focus would be a 450 or 550 imho.

Im on the fence about an F450/550 they can carry more weight but have a little higher maintenance cost with tires & brakes. If you found a nice 450/550 with low miles I wouldn't hesitate to look at it, but it seems like a diesel is what you really NEED. I woulndnt get a shortbed supercab f250 like me but ive been pulling 30ft RV's and Goosenecks no problem. only had to turn down a 43ft 5th wheel etc.

Start with F350s and see what you can find for a good deal and don't hesitate to look at a 450/550.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Im on the fence about an F450/550 they can carry more weight but have a little higher maintenance cost with tires & brakes. If you found a nice 450/550 with low miles I wouldn't hesitate to look at it, but it seems like a diesel is what you really NEED. I woulndnt get a shortbed supercab f250 like me but ive been pulling 30ft RV's and Goosenecks no problem. only had to turn down a 43ft 5th wheel etc.

Start with F350s and see what you can find for a good deal and don't hesitate to look at a 450/550.

Yeah I guess I'll keep looking… I think at this point I'm probably not going to pull the trigger until next year sometime.

Want a F250 7.3 extended cab with 8 foot bed or even an F350. Probably not a duly though. Anything bigger than that like the 450 or 550 is basically like a stake body or dump body and not sure that's something I want to drive every day just for mowing jobs with a single axle 12 foot trailer behind it.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
You know you're not the first person to recommend the V 10. I'm kind of surprised as I thought work trucks were all diesels. I mean I hardly ever see a construction site or larger landscape companies or any type of trades using gas motors.

I mean I guess I'd be open to it but I just figured for pulling heavy loads hauling heavy loads and just keeping it for a long time in general , a Diesel would be better. Maybe I'm wrong?
He pulls a BRi MAR 12k lb capacity Dump trailer. he does landscaping and some other stuff, exactly what im unsure. But he has a V10 F350 SRW, 8 foot bed extended cab manual. (im 90% sure its a manual ) and he loves it. YEs, sure 10 MPG ish... but it tows like a breeze for a gasser. the 5.4L wouldn't even tow my Race car up a hill. ( 7k w/ trailer ) had to slow to 55 and turn off the AC LMAO.... it was an 02 F250.

My buddy has a 01/02 F250 ECLB 7.3L manual trans and tows a Gooseneck 2 car trailer with that thing... he bought it to 8k in Commi Connecticut where I live w/ a **** bed so he put a take off on it. he tows his jeeps and other bits around and yeah... its slower than my 6.0L stock and has a 39 GAL fuel tank... but its a damn good truck. the Manual is way more fun to drive than my auto... but that's me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
He pulls a BRi MAR 12k lb capacity Dump trailer. he does landscaping and some other stuff, exactly what im unsure. But he has a V10 F350 SRW, 8 foot bed extended cab manual. (im 90% sure its a manual ) and he loves it. YEs, sure 10 MPG ish... but it tows like a breeze for a gasser. the 5.4L wouldn't even tow my Race car up a hill. ( 7k w/ trailer ) had to slow to 55 and turn off the AC LMAO.... it was an 02 F250.

My buddy has a 01/02 F250 ECLB 7.3L manual trans and tows a Gooseneck 2 car trailer with that thing... he bought it to 8k in Commi Connecticut where I live w/ a **** bed so he put a take off on it. he tows his jeeps and other bits around and yeah... its slower than my 6.0L stock and has a 39 GAL fuel tank... but its a damn good truck. the Manual is way more fun to drive than my auto... but that's me.

Damn.....all those "old trucks" and their manuals. You never see those made now.

Well like I said, I have a truck now so maybe I'll just look and ask questions here and maybe plan on next spring or so to get a dedicated work truck.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Yknow, I really like the older trucks. IMO, if youre going full time with the landscaping the 6.0 isn't a bad truck as long as you address the stuff that needs addressing.

BPD Oil cooler
ARP Studs
Head gaskets
EGR delete or BPD EGR.

otherwise my neighbor at my shop I rent just traded switched out his 98 3500 dually with a 2017 F350 SRW 6.7 .... super nice... 71k dollars later haha. he does Turf/fertilizer/mulch... that's it. prob more than youll ever need esp if youre on a budget under 20

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

Yeah but he has said he wants to haul so much weight. Then possibly get a bobcat. Why buy a light weight truck of your going to need a larger truck in the future. If rather have too much truck vs not enough. It would suck to have to buy twice. For city driving a low geared truck wouldn't have much fuel consumption issues imho. It's nice to do the research now and not just jump head first into this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yknow, I really like the older trucks. IMO, if youre going full time with the landscaping the 6.0 isn't a bad truck as long as you address the stuff that needs addressing.

BPD Oil cooler

ARP Studs

Head gaskets

EGR delete or BPD EGR.

otherwise my neighbor at my shop I rent just traded switched out his 98 3500 dually with a 2017 F350 SRW 6.7 .... super nice... 71k dollars later haha. he does Turf/fertilizer/mulch... that's it. prob more than youll ever need esp if youre on a budget under 20

Yeah I don't know if I want to put that much money into something right off the bat with regards to the 6.0. I'd rather put money into things that are expected like brakes, power steering pump, water pump,etc.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts