Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately as in the last month I have had some toruble with having low boost and high EGTS. I have checked everything I know that could be wrong and connot find one leak. I even went as far as buying a Turbonetics Ball Bearing turbo, and I still only get a max of 18 psi! I pulled some codes tonight after installing the new turbo and I had a few codes. I had two that dealt with my intake air heater. Could that have anything to do with it? I need some help fellas I am about to drench my sweetheart in gas and light a match!

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. See if you can find out your fuel pressure. I am sure thats what some people will tel you to start with. So you can be 1 up on the game when someone more knowledgeable comes along!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I have a crap load of smoke and my EGTS and going through the roof. So I just figured that meant I had plenty of fuel?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Egt's through the roof, tons of blacksmoke. Hmmmm your running custom tunes, your truck is modded. But your only getting 18psi max.

Does the truck feel sluggish at all?

Where do you have your Boost Gauge hooked in at?

Need to run a cylinder contribution test. Also run an injector Buzz test. Check the fuel pressure from the pump. Scan for codes using a good scan tool like auto enginuity or having a shop with a diagnostic computer scan for codes. There are times when a normal scan tool does not read all the codes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck isnt as snappy as it used to be, but that was when she was 28psi too. My guage is only about 2 months old and I have it hooked up on the MAP line. My egt guage is on the exhaust manifold right before the up pipe. How do I do I do a cylinder contribution test and buzz test? I was using an edge evo to pull codes also.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
The truck isnt as snappy as it used to be, but that was when she was 28psi too. My guage is only about 2 months old and I have it hooked up on the MAP line. My egt guage is on the exhaust manifold right before the up pipe. How do I do I do a cylinder contribution test and buzz test? I was using an edge evo to pull codes also.
The contribution test and buzz test will have to be done with either auto enginuity or at a shop, also scan for codes again. Do this before you go any further.

One thing is your gauge maybe off due to being tied into the map line. I would install it into the intake Y coming off the turbo. Do this on the turbo side.

The mapline can give inaccurate or low readings of boost.

The truck is mapped for 22 max psi. Your turbonetics is going to go way over the max. Which means you will need a map fooler or boost fooler. I suggest you get the one from ITP. But wait until you get this problem figured out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it is stuck open also. I removed the EBPV

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The contribution test and buzz test will have to be done with either auto enginuity or at a shop, also scan for codes again. Do this before you go any further.

One thing is your gauge maybe off due to being tied into the map line. I would install it into the intake Y coming off the turbo. Do this on the turbo side.

The mapline can give inaccurate or low readings of boost.

The truck is mapped for 22 max psi. Your turbonetics is going to go way over the max. Which means you will need a map fooler or boost fooler. I suggest you get the one from ITP. But wait until you get this problem figured out.
I want to say that my gauge is off but I have two reasons that tell me otherwise. One my truck is not defueling, and two my EGTs are high which goes hand in hand with low boost.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
yeah, it is stuck open also. I removed the EBPV
Waste gate stuck wide open. That can cause low boost. Leaking right out of the turbo.

If I was gonna have the waste gate stuck in any position I would prefer closed that way it will not leak or bleed off boost.

Also high egt's and low boost with lots of black smoke is a sign of a bad injector just dumping fuel into the cylinder.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooops! My bad the wastegate actuator came with the turbo! My exhaust housing came off the old turbo sorry about that!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
ooops! My bad the wastegate actuator came with the turbo! My exhaust housing came off the old turbo sorry about that!
Your exhaust housing is off your old turbo. So you have the EBV wired open.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes thats what I meant to say. Sorry its gettin late and it was quite the day.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
I would expect that if you are running a bigger turbo and custom tunes, then at Wide Open Throttle your truck is going to defuel. What codes are you throwing? Defueling will throw codes. I think you need a map fooler.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now I wish my truck would defuel but its not getting enough boost to throw an overboost code.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Right now I wish my truck would defuel but its not getting enough boost to throw an overboost code.
How do you know if the map sensor isn't stopping it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ran a boost leak check found some tiny leaks. So I cleaned the tubes and tightened the clamps. I ran my truck and now I get 20 psi maximum boost. I checked for codes and all I found was one code and this one I have never seen before. P0236 Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance. Is this the over boost code I have been waiting for?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump bump bump

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I just ran a boost leak check found some tiny leaks. So I cleaned the tubes and tightened the clamps. I ran my truck and now I get 20 psi maximum boost. I checked for codes and all I found was one code and this one I have never seen before. P0236 Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance. Is this the over boost code I have been waiting for?

The overboost code is the 0238 code. Unplugg your map sensor and run it, the SES light will be on but don't worry, the tranny will shift a little hard, but see how much boost you can build with it unplugged.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I unplugged the map sensor and I got the exact same boost, just a hair under 20 psi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts