Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 F350 service truck. I'm getting a rather strange noise from what I think is the turbo.It's kind of a gear whine or a high speed version of playing cards in the bicycle spokes kind of sound. Seems to be getting louder.Next weekend I will be doing the EGR delete trip and was going to do the Ford SB turbo clean while the turbo was off.This is my first diesel and first turbo,anything I should look for or anything else to do while I'm in there?The truck has 145,000 miles on it and I cant verify the service schedule but looks very clean and well cared for.I cleaned the EGR valve last week, but used brake cleaner to do it, been told thats a mistake.The power now comes on at around 3,000 rpms , before I cleaned it it was around 2,000.I am assuming I ruined the
EGR valve with the brake cleaner.But after the delete kit ( from River City) that wont be an issue.Also,which beer goes best with an EGR delete kit? I was thinking dark, possibly Warsteiner? Thanks in advance Jim

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Start off my checking for play. A little axel forward and aft is ok, but any radial side to side it bad. Look to see if you have any chips. I've got a couple links for cleaning if you want them.

I would go with a light beer don't want to get a full belly while spralled out on top of the engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did the turbo clean thing this week and did the egr valve and cooler delete with a kit from River City.Turbo looked fine, pretty clean realy. Used a little emery cloth to clean up a few spots and reassembled.I think I have an exhaust leak on the back of the turbo which I'll fix today, hopefully.The weird noise is still there but I notice its a lot worse in "tow" mode.With hood opened it sounds like its coming from the turbo or that general location.What does a faulty VGT solenoid do?I t make a noise if its about to go tits up? Also my EGR cooler was a little wet inside, I'm hoping it was leaking a bit and it wasnt a head gasket. No smoke at start up or when warm so maybe its just the cooler? Was amazed how much of this job is done by braille.Cant see or touch half the bolts! Had to weld up a tool to put the fan belt back on as I could not get a breaker bar to fit in there.Anyone sell these or would you guys like a picture? it worked slick once I got the angles right.Never knew a wire feed was a Ford tool!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts