Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2004 6.0 at work and it keeps blowing the intercooler tube off of the turbo. As soon as you launch the vehicle and get on the throttle it continues to blow it off. just wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be. The temp of the truck has not mattered, it just continues to occur. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
you probably need to replace the boot, but you can also try to take the boot fully off and clean it really well with carb or brake cleaner, also cleaner the CAC tube and turbo inlet, make sure that everything is free of oil. Once this is done, isntall the boot on the CAC tube, then apply some super glue to the inside of the boot, get a good bit on there,so anywhere that the boot is touching the turbo, its getting tightened and the glue is making contact with both surfaces areas.

Hope this helps, and I know it will work..

·
Registered
75 Posts
What Adam said should work. In extreme cases I have run a bead of weld on the outside of the aluminum tube.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I had the same issue. The rubber hose stayed on the turbo, but the out pipe would blow out. It turned out that the out pipe had "coned" where the clamp rode over time. The diameter had reduced at the end. I used and exhaust sizing cone to open it back up. Problem solved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your turbo needs to be cleaned or replaced. Happened to my '03 last year. Your turbo is stuck open at full boost and will continue to blow off the tube no matter what you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did this repeatedly while at WOT for about a month or more. Turned out i was pushing the boot too far down when installing (reinstalling). The boot (at least mine from Banks) is designed with space where the flanged edges of the outer on the turbo and the tube going to the intercooler meet. I backed it off a bit and no problems for over a year. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ive never had my hoses blow off, but did get advice on how to prevent this when I did put new boots on: spray inside of boot and turbo / pipe with hair spray prior to install. You have to be quick, as hair spray gets sticky as it dries.:icon_ford::eek:hnoes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts