Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 6.0 two wheel drive. What can I do to get better traction? When the ground is damp I can hardly pull my boat out the yard and pretty much anything off pavement. I have been curious about the detroit lockers or anything compatible. I have street tires standard size, should I try to use a more aggressive tire tread. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Jason

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Some of my buddies with 2wd trucks put mud tires on the back. Especially in the winter and spring time. I think if you go to a good alterain tire you would be fine. I think the problem is the tires more then anything.

Check out Nitto Terra graplers, or Yokohama Geolander AT tires. I don't think you need anything like BFG A/T.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2WD and the heavy front end of a diesel just isn't good for traction. More trailer tongue weight, limited slip and more aggressive treads is about all I could suggest...

·
Registered
71 Posts
A True-trac will do wonders for traction problems. That and some better tires will cure your traction blues.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
what is true trac? another word for posi traction? i need better traction too. they dont make e/t street radial for my 22's :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe true track and detroit lockers are made by the same manufacture. The true track is a clutch pack , and the detroit is a gear mesh. I have both in my JEEP. I have the detroit in the rear and it lock and unlocks aggresively. It is great for extream traction off road. For a 2wd truck pulling a boat I would spend less money. I'd check out oppotions on some rear end sites.
When you are spinning, are both wheels turning? If so, Just look into A/T tires. and some weight in the bed of your truck.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Jessiah -- you're almost right on the money. The Detroit Locker and the Tru-Trac are both made by Eaton (Detroit). However, unlike most limited slip differentials, the Tru-Trac has no clutch packs. For those that don't know, the clutch packs are what make the differential act like a posi and get both rear tires spinning in the same direction when traction is limited. Clutches wear out, and limited slips with clutches don't always "lock" when you need them to. I'm sure a lot of folks who have factory limited slips will tell you about one-wheel peel. The Tru-Trac uses planetary helix gears instead of clutch packs. The result? They lock when you need 'em and don't wear out.

The Tru-Trac will typically have better road manners then a Detroit Locker: sometimes the Locker doesn't want to unlock around turns and when it does, its not always smooth. But the Detroit Locker would be my choice for a truck driven off-road frequently.

--Snake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts