Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace the front end in the 97 250 xcab 4x4.Just wanted some recommendation on ball joints and part #s, and anything else you think I might take a look at while I got it apart,it also still has the Auto 4x4 hubs.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
your gonna want the hub puller that attaches to a slidehammer.. dont mess around, get it b4 you start. makesure you check the inner spindle berings and seals. this is the one that axle shaft rides on while going thru the spindle. it a little needle bearing and they have a tendancy to get caked up with junk over time due to the rear seals going bad

dont get junk ball joints... moog, spicer, only two i know off hand.

the bottom nut on the balljoint usually is a mother ****** t get off. it took me 3 broken sockets, a broken breaker bar till i got a 3/4 drive impact socket and bar and a 5 ft cheeter bar!!!! no lie and it took everything i had to get it top break. but i only had propane gas to heat with,

when you reassemble make sure you tighten the bottom ball joint first and then the top ball joint. if you do the top first. the bottom will never seat correctly.

good luck... they can be a PITA sometimes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This hub puller your talking about is it something I can rent at the parts stores.The inner bearing and seal,I noticed a seal hanging loose on one of the axles,probably the one your talking about.Still need a spicer # for the front axle U-joints and it has auto 4x4,thanks!

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
cant help you on the number and no i couldnt find one to rent. bought it at napa. its an OTC tool i belive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts