Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 7.3 and i'm looking to get some more power, and maybe a little more fuel economy. i've read a lot of forum posts and it looks like afe intakes are real popular. i was just wondering which one of afe intakes work the best and make the biggest difference.

thanks,
travis

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
What do you have done to your truck now?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its completely stock except i have a sct flash tuner usually set on street/economy. i put on a lot of miles, most of those are just regular highway driving but i haul trailer (7500-10000 lbs.) quite a bit too. i would like to start with getting a good intake, then exhaust. i read on a few of the posts about aftermarket wastegates, but it sounded like egt might be a porblem.

thanks,
travis

·
Registered
497 Posts
How about some gauges too?? U really should have some with your programmer!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
722 Posts
you can also do a diy filter setup. I have herd good and bad stuff about those gauges. I would recomend a set of autmeter.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
All I can say is you NEED gauges especially if you tow using the SCT. I would not even worry about the intake or exhaust until you get gauges.

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
Agrees 100% with strokin!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i've looked at some gauges, i know i need them. i'm not too picky with the styles and colors. i found a triple pod with pyro, boost, tranny temp and all of the hardware on ebay for 189. take a look and let me know what you think.

eBay Motors: 99-06 POWERSTROKE GAUGE POD + B7 PYRO 60 BOOST TRANS (item 350070380805 end time Jun-20-08 16:47:51 PDT)

thanks,
travis
Always remember man, you get what you pay for.

With that being said, glowshift guages are junk.

There's a reason Autometer, Isspro, etc. etc. cost a bit more.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Nothing filters better or costs less than a Tymar intake..except a clone, you can also get a exhaust system at a resonable price. Tony Wildman tunes and guages will be a good choice for HP, mileage and safety.

Cary

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is the diy tymar intake really worth doing? or would i be better off getting something like an afe stage 2? i totally agree with needing gauges, i would like to get a set that matched the oem dash guages, any idea where i could find some.

thanks,
travis

·
Banned
722 Posts
yess its way worth doing for the price i dont think you can really beat it.

·
Banned
722 Posts
look at some of the sponser for the guages... like isspro and stealth

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm gonna go ahead and do the tymar intake, just a quick question though. where can i get the best filter for this, and how much does not having any kind of shroud or guard effect the filter?

sorry about all the questions, i've had my 99 7.3 L for a few months and i love it and want to start doing a little to it here and there.

thanks,
travis

·
Registered
738 Posts
fleetfilter.com
napa part #6637
wix part #46637

Most people run these without any heat shield or anything, so you should be fine

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
is the diy tymar intake really worth doing? or would i be better off getting something like an afe stage 2? i totally agree with needing gauges, i would like to get a set that matched the oem dash guages, any idea where i could find some.

thanks,
travis
Dipricol Optix gauges our almost a direct match to the factory dash when its lit up. Color wise that is.:thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think the ISSPRO performax are the ones that were worked on for a while to match our factory gauges almost perfectly, font, color, everything

1 - 20 of 24 Posts