Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the diesel scene. I have an '02 F250 supercrew. I went out and bought a superchips before I found this site. So I thought I'd give it a try.
I've been reading alot about gauges. I already have oil, trans temp, and water temp. Which other gauges do I need and what exactly am I looking for.
I have a 29' toyhauler that I pull and was wondering with the SC, which program I should run. Tow safe or Tow performance.
Thanks

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You need Exhaust Gas Temp gauge preturbo install. You need aftermarket trans temp gauge. I would also run a boost gauge as well.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I have the superchips and I would run it on tow safe until you get gauges. You should still get yourself a trans temp gauge one that is accurate as the stock gauge is only there to tell you when its too late you already overheated the trans. You for sure want an egt gauge to monitor the gas temps because by adding a tune it will add more fuel to the mix and run hotter:thumb:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
I'm new to the diesel scene. I have an '02 F250 supercrew. I went out and bought a superchips before I found this site. So I thought I'd give it a try.
I've been reading alot about gauges. I already have oil, trans temp, and water temp. Which other gauges do I need and what exactly am I looking for.
I have a 29' toyhauler that I pull and was wondering with the SC, which program I should run. Tow safe or Tow performance.
Thanks
You DEFINATELY NEED A PYRO GAUGE, so you can monitor your EGT's (exhaust gas temp) you could burn up your turbo pulling a grade really hard with a programmer and no PYRO gauge. Also a boost gauge wouldn't hurt. You could probably run either tow program, it would depend on how it is running on your PYRO GAUGE! You definately should run the cooler of the two programs pulling grades, if your pulling flat I don't think it would matter much.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Thanks for the replys. So what EGT is normal? And what should I do if it gets too high?
1250 is max you don't want to exceed 1200-1250 unless it is for a short period of time mesaured in seconds.

If it gets to high just back off the throttle until the egt's lower back down below 1200.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
get EGT, BOOST, and tranny temp....sorry i chimed in a little late but couldnt hurt haha.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If your EGT's get to high you melt your piston heads(lost the ame sorry haha) which are aluminum and melt down VERY quickly......Another thing to watchfor is turbo temp, make sure you dont just kill her after shes been working REALLY hard, can mess up seals and reack havoc on your turbo.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just as said above, EGT, Boost & tranny temp gauges.

When shutting the truck down it is a good idea to wait until the EGT's drop below 350 degrees. Help extend the life of the turbo.

Welcome to powerstroke.org and your new addicition!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts