Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of gettin a new truck and I know Ford is the only way to go, but was wanting to get a diesel. I don't know much about them and was hoping yall could share some knowledge. But, I do know that the 7.3L is the way to go also.
I like the look of the 9th generation (1992-96) better than the 10th (1997-2004) but in some research I found that
"In 1999, an air to air intercooler was added. The intercooler cooled the charged air from the turbo making it denser. The cooler, denser air would increase the horsepower potential of the engine, while also reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs). The turbine housing was changed to a .84 A/R housing and a wastegate was added. The "single shot" HEUI injectors were upgraded to "split shot" injectors. With larger injectors, the HPOP was advanced to 17º to increase fuel pressures."
Did the change after 1999 make a bgi differance in the engine? Also ant other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bubba

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Welcome to the ORG. I have never had an OBS or 95-97 psd. I have only had the 99 and ups. You can add an intercooler to the obs trucks. I think that an obs 7.3 with an intercooler and proper tunes, intake, and exhaust would make you very happy. You can always change injectors later depending on what your plans are with your future truck. The mid 00's and up have PMR rods which only allow up to around 400hp. The early 99's and older have forged rods in them which are better. So if you plan on making big hp, stick with a 00 or older.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
OBS stands for old body style or 92-97. Hopefully some obs owners will tell you how they like their trucks. I agree that the obs trucks look the best. I like my super duty and i like the newer options like the bigger mirrors, etc..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Actually, the direct injected "Powerstroke" started with the '94.5 year model. What do you plan to do with your truck? That may help determine what upgrades, if any, will suit you best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eventually my hopes for performance mods are intake, suspension lift, stacks, chip, and I'm sure I will think plenty more after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts