Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Error 404: Page Not Found
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at the diagrams I could find online but I am getting no where. This part has quite a bit of play and is causing freeway travel to shimmy a little plus my tires are not wearing well. I need to get it fixed ASAP. Can anyone tell me what the heck this thing is called? lol. Anyone also have a lead on where I can pick one up for inexpensive? Thanks!

PS. I know the one above it is a tie rod, is this also considered a tie rod?

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK this is what I have gathered. The thing on top is the drag link and the part that is bad is actually my tie rod. Sound right?

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
i would do as much as you can afford
EI both sides tie rod and drag link .. the tie rod requires an alignment after you work on it so Why not do both sides ,, and check ball joints also

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
sheesh how many miles ? my 06 with 85 k and big tires hasn't worn mine out yet ,, well it did go through ball joints but not the parts your after LOL

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the confirmation. I have never seen a set up like this before. But this is the first f250 I have owned. Is there anywhere that's cheaper than another on these parts? 93k miles

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
OK 93K isn't bad

I like to find name brand and greaseable AKA Zerk fittings

usually NAPA's MooG's are good enough.. or back to Ford Motorcraft ,, they some times have serviceable replacements

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
JUst had my friends lifted 250 break one and run into the bed of another friends z71 not cool

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just replaced that tie rod end last week. Mine also had tons of play in it.
I recommend replacing both sides including the adjusting sleeve. I got new replacements from auto zone that had grease fittings. The adjusting sleeve was like $16. Drivers side $37, passenger side $87.
Just measure how far each end is threaded into the adjusting sleeve and match up the new parts the same.

Pretty easy job to do and made a notable difference.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
remember, this a very key part in yours / my safety......PLEASE do not go cheap, i have seen these parts fail at speed......trust me, you do not want to be the driver or the other vehicle when you see the drivers eyes if this part fails at speed.
I am not trying to "go cheap" I am just looking for the best price. Not like I am tring to just JB weld it back together or anything!

I just replaced that tie rod end last week. Mine also had tons of play in it.
I recommend replacing both sides including the adjusting sleeve. I got new replacements from auto zone that had grease fittings. The adjusting sleeve was like $16. Drivers side $37, passenger side $87.
Just measure how far each end is threaded into the adjusting sleeve and match up the new parts the same.

Pretty easy job to do and made a notable difference.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Is your truck 2wd? those prices seems really inexpensive! lol Everywhere I am looking its $120 for the left and the same for the right.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Gotcha. Well I found a website that has FEQ's for about $80 instead of $120 or higher like everywhere around here. Still looking, but has anyone heard of FEQ?

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
FEQ (First Equipment Quality)

never heard of them ,, can't find much on google.. gut tells Me to stay away

·
Registered
845 Posts
you should beable to self align......this setup adjusts toe independently from the steering center. remove you steering with truck on the ground.... measure overall length and match new parts to length. most of these setups come back close to aligned from shops anyway. i always carry what is need to adjust steering wheel once i drive a little.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ended up going with RockAuto.com and it was $172 with shipping to get MOOG tie rods, left and right. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I have over 240K on mine and they are stock. Have been running 285/75-16's so not too agresive. I will be changing mine (driver side, pass. side and sleeve) when I do my Spyntec hubbs!

I will do like jshalala and get them at auto zone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts