Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed yesterday the chip wasnt working. 6 position chip. its on a 96 f350 with the 7.3. today it wouldnt start at all. i went and got a camshft sensor and intalled. still no start and read cam sensor circuit failure. any ideas where to check next? is there a fuse for this circuit? its my brothers truck and the sooner i get it fixed th sooner i get mine back. any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took chip out and tryed another cps from ford this time.. still just cranks and no start. RPM moves to like 200. any ideas will be welcomed. i am going to check the loop and see if there i can find a break in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check all your fuses, inside and out, especially #22 and #9.
Check your crankcase oil level. These guys won't start if they are a gallon low. Should be in the hash marks.
Make sure your high pressure oil pump(HPOP) reservoir on top of the front of the engine is full of oil. You can pull the plug or the oil pressure sensor to check it. Should be within an inch of the top.
Check your IPR valve on the bottom of the HPOP, driver's side to make sure the connector is plugged in good and the tin nut on the end of it is tight and not wiggling loose.
Check your fuel pressure with a tire gauge on the schrader valve. Should be at least 50#-ish. 70# is great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The last time my ECM went out on my 96 it caused my chip to try to work as a back up computer. Unhook the chip and hook you scanner up to it again. I kept getting a cam sensor reading on mine also and it turned out to be a ECM failure. Try that and goodluck. If its a ECM your looking at $350 for the part and then a additional $80 for the calibration and the installation. Thats here in Muncie, Indiana. I hope that this has helped you. I know what its like not to have my truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found the problem. when looking through the scanner at different sensors i saw that it was showing 15 psi of back pressure. which i didnt think was possible while not running. disconnected the sensor behind the turbo and it started right up. getting a new one tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Save yourself some money

I wouldn't bother if I were you. You really don't need it unless you live in the Arctic tundra and it can run forever with the dang thing unplugged. It will throw a code but it won't turn on the check engine light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts