Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1997 7.3L that i am having some trouble with. my problem is everyone once in a while i am having trouble starting the truck. i have two new batteries and a new alternator. last week me and my buddy went down to his dads construction site and i shut the truck off and when i go to start the truck back up after about 15 mins it cranks real slow and i had to jump it to start and finally got it running. previously before this i had no problems starting the truck. after we left i drove around for about 20 mins and went to the store and i come out and try to start the truck and would not start so we call my buddies grandma to come jump it and can't get it started so we got a ride back home and my dad stopped where the truck was on his way home from work and it started right up for him no problems. this happened last Thursday. all this week it has been fine no trouble starting. today i was out doing some things and had a little trouble starting the truck it was cranking somewhat slow but ended up getting it started, then me and my dad went to lowes and when we came out i couldnt get it started we tried to jump start it but didnt work. so right now im not sure what it could be any help would be greatly appreciated. also both days were raining i dont know if that could have an affect on whats wrong. thanks in advance

·
Registered
796 Posts
i have a 1997 7.3L that i am having some trouble with. my problem is everyone once in a while i am having trouble starting the truck. i have two new batteries and a new alternator. last week me and my buddy went down to his dads construction site and i shut the truck off and when i go to start the truck back up after about 15 mins it cranks real slow and i had to jump it to start and finally got it running. previously before this i had no problems starting the truck. after we left i drove around for about 20 mins and went to the store and i come out and try to start the truck and would not start so we call my buddies grandma to come jump it and can't get it started so we got a ride back home and my dad stopped where the truck was on his way home from work and it started right up for him no problems. this happened last Thursday. all this week it has been fine no trouble starting. today i was out doing some things and had a little trouble starting the truck it was cranking somewhat slow but ended up getting it started, then me and my dad went to lowes and when we came out i couldnt get it started we tried to jump start it but didnt work. so right now im not sure what it could be any help would be greatly appreciated. also both days were raining i dont know if that could have an affect on whats wrong. thanks in advance

Battery cables cinched down tight?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
I would test the starter. I would also check the battery connections and clean them as well. I do not think it is a battery problem though. But I would test the batteries as well just to rule them out the same with the alternator.

To me it sounds like the starter is not getting the proper power to it. Either because of the starter becoming falty or battery cables being falty. Need to check them out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
CPS cam position censer is known to casuse wacky starting and stalling issues. its cheap 20$ just try that first

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,735 Posts
CPS or battery conections some where. Definatly look at all the connections on the starter. Mine was doing pretty much the same thing, small jumper was loose. Found it after removing the starter in an Auto Zone parking lot, being tested 3 times, and reinstalling it. Just happened to see the loose connection arc while a friend was cranking the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.